Wild Card Workouts
Sometimes you just need to mix it up so you don’t bore your mind and your muscles! There are tons of ways you can stay fit outside of your typical FULLfitness regimen.
Wild Card Workouts are about varying your routines and elevating your heart rate in ways that you find fun and fulfilling. Everyone’s personal situation is different so we encourage you to find SOMETHING that works for YOU. The goal is to get your heart pumping, blood flowing and sweat going!
Here are some great ways you can switch it up, break a sweat and have some FULLfitness fun!
Head Outside: Exercising outside is a great way to practice mindfulness while working out. You can get your fitness and fulfillment in all in one shot and even include your friends or family in the fun!
- Brisk Walking: Emphasize the brisk. Make it fun by listening to music and trying to keep up with the tempo. A walk with hills will increase the intensity.
- Biking: You can alternate intervals with short bursts of an all-out peddle and a light peddle. Set fun goals for yourself such as a 20-minute ride with 60-second intervals. Look for areas locally that you can safely ride a bike and break a sweat. I love to ride on local trails to take in some marvelous scenery.
- Strenuous Hike: If you want to get some fresh air and take in the beauty around you, look locally for safe places to hike! The more hills or rougher the terrain, the higher the intensity.
Try a Team Sport or Join a Rec League: Rec leagues are a great way to get in a workout while having fun with family or friends. Why do they work? Because this type of fitness follows a routine schedule; you’re more likely to hold yourself accountable and make the extra effort to get there when you have it penciled in. Another less involved option: Schedule a weekly time to get together without the rules and regulations and play just for a little fabulous fitness fun.
- Racquetball or Badminton
- Softball or Baseball
Get Invigorated by Taking a Group Fitness Class: If you don’t belong to a gym, you can check your local township guide for classes being offered in your community.
- Pilates Reformer
- Karate, Martial Arts or Jujitsu
- A Class Focused on Stretching
- Swing Dancing, Zumba or Salsa: If you love dancing these are great options to switch up your fitness fun!
Explore the Fitness Floor at the Gym:
- Elliptical/Treadmill: Just like biking outside, alternate high intensity, low intensity intervals to prevent boredom and keep your mind stimulated.
- Aquatic Aerobics or Swim Laps: Check out your local YMCA or township for aquatic classes that are being offered or for open swim availability. Water sports are a great way to get in shape without weights or high impact on your joints.
Include Your Kids:
- Create an Obstacle Course and Have a Competition to See Who Can Get Through It First: An example: Time each other jumping rope 15 times, doing 15 jumping jacks, running around the outside of house once and finishing with a cartwheel. You can even go to a playground and create a fun obstacle course to see how quickly you can make it through.
- Throw a Ball or Frisbee Back and Forth: You can get a great workout just by throwing a ball or Frisbee around. Make it mindful and get moving by throwing it in opposite directions so you’re continuously moving. See how long you can keep the game going without dropping the ball or Frisbee. A few minutes of this and you’re bound to break a sweat!
- Get a Game of Soccer Going
- Go on a Nature Hike: Come up with a list of twenty items to find on your hike that will engage your kids and make it fun! Include them in conversation about why it’s important to be active, explore and notice how incredible mother nature is!
Make an Afternoon Out of It:
- Water Sports such as Paddle Boarding or Kayaking: Check locally to see if there is somewhere you can rent a paddle board or kayak for a few hours of exercise entertainment. Make it a fun day excursion with a friend or family member rather than looking at it as a means to working out.
- Rock Climbing Wall: This is a great way to work your arms, shoulders and back!
- Skiing or Snowboarding
- Geocaching: This is a great way to get in a brisk walk or hike all while going on an adventure and stimulating your brain!
- Meet for Fitness Rather than Food: Busy and don’t have the time to fit in your workout, errands AND meet your friends to catch up? Multitask! Rather than meeting for lunch, dinner or drinks, suggest something active such as golfing, bowling or going on a brisk walk. You can catch up while making moves and tackle two activities in one!