10-Minute Sesame-Crusted Tuna Steak (with Avocado + Citrus Ginger Marinade)
- Total Time: 12 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
These Sesame-Crusted Tuna Steaks are seared in a hot skillet and served with creamy avocado slices and a sushi-style citrus ginger marinade. Seared tuna is one of those recipes that looks really impressive, but is so simple to make. In 15 minutes flat (including prep AND cleanup), you can have a restaurant quality meal right in your own kitchen.
- 2 tablespoons Bragg’s liquid aminos or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/3 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, lightly packed
- 1/8 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 & 1/2 pounds tuna fillets (sushi grade)
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds (optional)
- 2 handfuls arugula, for serving (optional)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- cast iron pan or skillet
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all marinade ingredients, stir and set aside.In a separate shallow bowl or plate, add sesame seeds. Roll and evenly coat the sides of each tuna fillet in sesame seeds.
- Heat large cast iron skillet to medium-high heat. Coat with sesame oil. (If your skillet is not large enough for both steaks, cook them one at a time.)
- Lay the tuna filets in the hot oil. Sear for 1 minute (to form a slight crust). While tuna is searing, coat the top of the filet with a spoonful of marinade. Flip tuna and sear on the opposite side for an additional minute.
- Transfer the filet from the pan to a cutting board and slice into 1/2 inch-thick slices.
- Divide the arugula among four plates in a neat pile. Arrange the tuna slices on top of arugula. Top tuna steaks with sliced avocado and drizzle remaining marinade over fish.
You may substitute sesame oil with extra virgin olive oil.
Cook on the stovetop or grill to perfection.
Always check for FfL-friendly ingredients.
We recommend wild-caught tuna and organic ingredients when feasible.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
Keywords: Tuna Steak, Sesame Crusted Tuna Steak