Enjoy the delicious and refreshing taste of this perfect pick-me-up smoothie!
The combination of coconut, pineapple and macadamia nuts will remind you of a warm Hawaiian day. Cowabunga!
Why add these ingredients?
Cacao nibs: Made from cacao beans, both nibs and powder have some serious super powers. They’re exceptionally rich in antioxidants, which fight off damage to the body, such as premature aging and certain cancers. They contain potassium, iron and magnesium. They’ve been shown to reduce inflammation and improve heart health. They’re loaded with fiber, which helps promote healthy digestion and, last but not least, they stimulate serotonin and dopamine in the brain (a.k.a. feel-good hormones).
Chia seeds: Not only are they rich in protein, antioxidants, fiber and omega 3’s, their powerful benefits range from heart health and helping your immune system to fight off bacteria and viruses to aiding in weight loss.
Hemp seeds: Rich in healthy fats, fiber and protein, as well as vitamin E and minerals, hemp seeds are a no-brainer when it comes to supercharging your smoothie. Rather than protein powder, add a spoonful of these protein-packed goodies to your smoothie.
If your mornings are extra busy, you can prep your smoothies ahead by making smoothie packs. They’re both convenient AND delicious. All you have to do is grab one from the freezer, add your liquid of choice and blend it in your high-powered blender. These freezer packs will change your smoothie-loving life!
High voltage will MAKE or BREAK your smoothie.
We like our smoothies just that, smooooth! Nutribullet and Vitamix blenders are great for smoothies and so much more. When shopping, look for a good quality, high-powered blender that’s easy to clean. Our personal favorite is Nutribullet because we can drink out of the cup we blend in. Less dishes? Heck yes!
- This recipe will yield 1 large smoothie or 2 smaller smoothies. If it’s just a snack, freeze or share the other half!
- Anytime your fresh greens are starting to wilt, store them in a sealed freezer-bag in the freezer. When you make smoothies, use your frozen greens.
Enjoy the delicious and refreshing taste of this perfect pick-me-up smoothie! The combination of coconut, pineapple and macadamia nuts will remind you of a warm Hawaiian day. Cowabunga!
- 1 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1 cup spinach
- 3–5 toasted macadamia nuts (depending on how pronounced you want the flavor to be)
- 1 tablespoon toasted coconut chips (substitute with unsweetened coconut flakes)
- 1 teaspoon cacao nibs
- 1 cut unsweetened almond milk (enough to almost cover all of ingredients)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon hemp seeds
- Add all ingredients in a high-powered blender and puree to desired consistency.
Spinach will change the color of the smoothie. Spinach wasn’t added to the smoothie pictured in this post.
We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.
- Serving Size: 1