A true winner!
This refreshing salad is made with cucumbers, avocado, red onion, tomato and spring mix. It’s tossed with the PERFECT balsamic-based dressing and topped with feta cheese. It can be served as a delicious side dish or a light, low-carb meal.
Since becoming pregnant, it’s become even more important for me (Kalie) to eat nutritious, real-food meals packed with healthy fats, veggies and protein. Because I’m often exhausted, there’s nothing better than healthy options that can be made in minutes. While both of our families are huge fans of salads, we get bored with the same old, same old. Because of this, we’re always concocting new salad combos and dressings to complement. But this salad is so good, we can eat it a few times a week without ever getting sick of it!
It has all the flavors to make your mouth sing and can be served as a side salad or your main dish.
If you’re serving it as a meal:
If you’re making this salad as a meal, we recommend you add a little chicken for some additional protein. Because our husbands are like bottomless pits, we often add a 1/4 cup of leftover whole-grain rice or rotini pasta to their dish. That’s the beauty of salads, you can toss in a few extras so that everyone in your family is left with satisfied tummies and happy hearts!
Top tips for prepping ahead (on your food prep day or the night before)
Pre-chopping, cutting or cooking ingredients really helps to reduce stress and simplify dinner on busy weeknights. We know, we know, we’re always talking about meal prep, but it truly is the holy grail to healthy eating!
This refreshing salad is made with cucumbers, avocado, red onion, tomato and spring mix. It’s tossed with the PERFECT balsamic-based dressing and topped with feta cheese. It can be served as a delicious side dish or a light, low-carb meal. It’s a healthy option that’s ready in minutes.
- 4 cups spring mix
- 3/4 large avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 large cucumber, diced into quarters
- 1/3 pint size container cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1/3 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons feta cheese
- 1 cup chopped, cooked chicken (optional – we use leftover or roasted chicken)
- In a large bowl, combine all salad ingredients.
- In a medium bowl or mason jar (we prefer to use a mason jar to store the remaining dressing) combine all dressing ingredients, except the EVOO. Mix. Add EVOO and mix.
- Drizzle 1/4 of dressing over salad, toss to coat (if necessary, add more to desired preference). Store remaining dressing in fridge for later use. Enjoy!