Chicken and Pesto Stuffed Tomatoes (or Peppers)
- Total Time: 30 min to 80 min
- Yield: 6 1x
- 5–6 large tomatoes or peppers
- 1 pound ground chicken or ground turkey breast
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 5 oz spinach or arugula (approximately 4 cups)
- 3/4 cup farro, quinoa or brown rice, cooked
- 1/8 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1 roma tomato, diced (omit if stuffing tomatoes)
- 1/3 cup basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons pesto or basil spinach pesto sauce
- 1/2 cup Parmesan or Romano cheese
- Cut 1/4-1/2 inch off top of tomatoes or peppers. Using a spoon, carefully scoop out tomato pulp or pepper seeds. Discard pulp. (I often save mine and add it to chili or another meal).
- On medium heat in a large non-stick pan, cook lean protein with salt and pepper to taste until no longer pink, approximately 7-10 minutes. Put cooked chicken or turkey in a bowl and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- On medium heat, add olive oil to the same large pan meat was cooked in. Add onion, cooking until onions soften, 3-5 minutes. Add spinach to pan; cover with a lid and cook until spinach wilts, approximately 2 minutes. Add cooked rice, protein and salt to skillet. Stir and cook for 2 minutes, until warm.
- Remove from heat and add tomato, basil and pesto to protein and rice mixture. Stir. Divide mixture evenly among hollowed tomatoes or peppers.
- Place each stuffed tomato or pepper upright in a baking dish. Bake until tender, about 15-25 minutes for tomatoes and 55-60 minutes for peppers. Top with cheese and enjoy!
Always check for FfL-friendly ingredients.
We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.
- Prep Time: 15 min to 20 min
- Cook Time: 15 min to 60 min
- Category: Recipes
- Method: Prep Now, Cook Later