This Chicken Cobb Salad makes a healthy, hearty, low-carb meal that’s gluten-free, paleo, dairy-free and sure to become a family favorite!
Romaine topped with tender chicken is a surprise addition to this elegant salad. Cherry tomatoes, cucumber, red onion and avocado add to the variety of textures and tastes. Impress your family or friends and serve this flavorful, mouth-watering salad as a main dish for lunch or dinner!
What is Cobb salad?
Cobb salads are packed with protein, healthy fat and fiber. The ingredients are full of flavor that your taste buds will thank you for.
Perfectly tender chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, hard-boiled eggs, onion and avocado plus an easy and delicious dressing that’s ready in under a minute!
What dressing should I use?
We couldn’t decide if we wanted to go with a blue cheese or honey mustard dressing for this tasty salad, so we added both as options. Both dressings use FfL-friendly, real-food ingredients you can feel good about serving. You choose!
- If you’re looking for a tangy, creamy and rich dressing, we would recommend this Healthy Homemade Blue Cheese.
- If you prefer a sweet, yet tangy burst of flavor, or a paleo and dairy-free option, you’ll want to try this Homemade Honey Mustard.
- If you’re aiming for SUPER easy, simply drizzle a little high-quality EVOO and balsamic on top. Add a little cracked peppercorn, toss and enjoy.
- If you’re pinched for time, we would recommend Primal Kitchen’s dressings. Their dressings are some of the only store-bought dressings that we’ve been able to find that use quality ingredients.
A few ways to simplify your week and prep ahead: (on your food prep day or the night before)
We’re always looking for ways to reduce time in the kitchen and simplify healthy eating, especially throughout the week. You can prep the different components of this salad ahead of time and then assemble right before serving.
- Chop your onions (Onion choppers are great for this! They save SO MUCH time in the kitchen and take all the hard work out of cutting vegetables.)
- Cook and chop chicken. Use rotisserie chicken if you’re pinched for time.
- Boil and peel eggs OR purchase them pre-boiled
- Prepare Blue Cheese OR Honey Mustard Dressing (if making your own)
How to bake your chicken in the oven
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper (or use our personal favorite all-in-one seasoning: Jane’s Krazy Mixed-Up Salt).
- Place breasts on a parchment-paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, remove chicken from oven, flip each breast and bake an additional 10-15 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink in the center.
- Allow chicken to cool before cutting into cubes and adding to your salad.
How to hard boil eggs
- Fill small-medium pot 3/4 way full with water (eggs will need to be covered by 1/2″ water).
- Bring water to a rolling boil.
- Place eggs in water and boil 12-14 minutes. Time will depend on the size of your eggs and how done you prefer your egg yolks to be. If you’re using XL or jumbo eggs, you’ll need a little more time.
- Transfer the eggs from the pot into a bowl of cold water. Let the eggs sit for 5 minutes to stop the cooking process and to cool down.
- Gently tap eggs on countertop until the shells are cracked. Peel the eggs, discard the egg shells and slice. Store eggs in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Some ways to reinvent your leftover Chicken Cobb Salad:
- Grilled Chicken Cobb wrap: In a wrap, combine leftover salad. Grill on both sides or heat in the toaster oven and serve.
- Grain bowl: Bowls are literally one of the BEST ways to mix and match leftovers! Layer your favorite grains (brown rice, quinoa, etc.) in a bowl with leftover Cobb salad and any other leftovers you have on hand.
- With a Mediterranean flare: Add 1/4 cup sliced kalamata olives (more or less depending on flavor preferences), crumbled feta cheese and a pinch of dried oregano. For the dressing, drizzle 1 teaspoon 100% extra virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar.
Romaine topped with chicken is a surprise addition to this elegant salad. Diced tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, olives and feta add to the variety of textures and tastes. Impress your family or friends and serve this flavorful, mouth-watering salad as a main dish for lunch or dinner!
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 heads chopped romaine lettuce or leafy greens (approximately 4 cups)
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1/2 large cucumber, chopped in 1/2- inch pieces (approximately 1 & 3/4 cups)
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, diced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/3 cup blue cheese dressing (homemade recipe HERE) OR honey mustard dressing (homemade recipe HERE)
- Prepare homemade dressing, if making your own.
- Wash and pat chicken dry.
- In a small bowl, mix together salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Coat the chicken with the spice mixture.
- Cook chicken on the grill, in a frying pan or in the oven until no longer pink inside (approximately 25 minutes at 375 degrees in the oven, depending on thickness). Chop cooked chicken into 1/2-inch cubes.
- In a large salad bowl, add romaine, tomato, cucumber, onion, blue cheese and chicken. Toss and serve with homemade dressing or your favorite store-bought dressing. Enjoy!