This flavorful Chicken Enchilada Casserole is a healthy version of the ultimate comfort food.
It combines peppers, onions, fajita sauce, Mexican cheese, and queso fresco to create an authentic-tasting Mexican dinner. This simple no-fuss meal is sure to be a family favorite (and the newest addition to your weekly recipe rotation!).
How to shop for the best ingredients:
- Tortillas: Choose FfL-friendly tortillas, made with limited ingredients that you recognize such as corn, water, and salt. The refrigerator or freezer section of the supermarket is a great place to find these. You can also make your own!
- Sauce: Check Fajita sauce for FfL-friendly ingredients; we use Simply Organic, Organic Simmer Sauce, Classic Fajita
- Cheese: Choose a cheese that’s made with simple ingredients such as milk, cream, salt, enzymes and active cultures.
Top tips for prepping ahead: (on your food prep day or the night before)
Pre-chopping, cutting, and cooking ingredients really helps to reduce stress and simplify dinner on busy weeknights. We know, we know, we’re always talking about meal prep, but it truly is the holy grail to healthy eating!
- Cook your chicken in the slow cooker
- Chop your peppers and onion
- Wash and pick cilantro leaves from the stem
This dish can also be prepped the night before to save on time. Prepare as directed (stop just before pouring the fajita sauce over the tortillas and baking), cover and refrigerate overnight. The next day, finish preparing as directed.
Add a sneaky hidden veggie
Adding pureed veggies is a great way to get even the pickiest of eaters to eat their veggies! They’ll get all the benefits of veggies without you receiving any pushback. Simply head to the baby food aisle, choose a pureed veggie (carrots, squash, green beans), spoon some over the first layer of tortillas, or mix it into the enchilada sauce. Your family will never know that there are hidden veggies inside.
Can I roll my enchiladas, rather than make them casserole-style?
Yep, simply divvy the cheese, chicken, peppers, and onions. Place the filling in the center of each tortilla and roll from end to end. Turn the enchilada over, seam side down, so the tortilla stays closed, and place it in the baking dish. Repeat with each tortilla until you have filled the dish. Bake as directed.Print
This flavorful Chicken Enchilada Casserole is a healthy version of the ultimate comfort food. It combines peppers, onions, fajita sauce, Mexican cheese, and queso fresco to create an authentic-tasting Mexican dinner. This simple no-fuss meal is sure to be a family favorite (and the newest addition to your weekly recipe rotation!).
- In a slow cooker, mix taco seasoning with water, add chicken and cook until fall apart tender (approximately 3-4 hours on low). Remove cooked chicken from slow cooker and shred. Set aside.
- Place half of the tortillas on the bottom of an 8×12 greased baking pan. (You can tear the tortillas to fit as necessary.) Layer 1/4 cup Mexican cheese, chicken, peppers, onions (and any additional ingredients you want, such as olives or jalapenos). Add 1/2 cup Mexican cheese and finish layering with the remaining tortillas. Pour the fajita sauce over the tortillas.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes at 375 degrees. Remove casserole from oven, top with queso fresco cheese and bake for an additional 10 minutes covered. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before cutting. Garnish with desired toppings to serve.
- Serving Size: 4
Keywords: Chicken Enchilada Casserole