Coconut Lime Chicken
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
This Coconut Lime Chicken recipe is for anyone who gets tired of eating bland chicken and wants an easy, delicious way to get the flavor gods singing! Coconut milk, lime juice and red chili flakes give this stovetop dish a flavor that replicates Thai cuisine. Serve with wild rice, quinoa or cauliflower rice and enjoy.
- 1 & 1/2 pounds chicken breasts
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon virgin coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (about 1 large lime)
- 2 tablespoons fresh finely chopped cilantro leaves (or 1 Tbsp. dried cilantro)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 & 1/4 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot starch
- Optional but recommended: Place the chicken breasts between two pieces of parchment paper. Pound the pieces of chicken down until they are even in thickness. You can get creative – a large-headed hammer or bottom of a mason jar even works! This will help the chicken cook evenly and make the chicken more tender. If you’re tight on time, see notes below.
- Sprinkle each side of the chicken with salt and pepper.quick and easy recipe, healthy recipe, coconut chicken, coconut lime chicken recipe, chicken recipe, weight loss, healthy cookbook, clean eating, non-processed food, HIIT workouts, at-home workout
- Melt half the coconut oil (1/2 teaspoon) in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken breasts and brown each side, approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside on a plate. (The chicken doesn’t need to be fully cooked yet because you’ll be returning it to the heat.)
- Add the other 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil, garlic and chopped onion to the same skillet the chicken was cooked in. Sauté for two minutes, stirring so as not to burn. Add the chicken stock, lime juice, cilantro and chili flakes (taste test to reach the desired heat from the chili flakes). Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, stir and add arrowroot starch. Bring to a simmer for another 5 minutes. (You may need to raise the heat to a boil to activate the starch. Once the sauce thickens reduce it back down to a simmer.)
- Add the chicken back into the skillet. Cover and let cook for another 5-10 minutes, until the chicken is cooked thoroughly.
- Serve chicken and sauce with wild rice, quiona or cauliflower rice. Top with extra cilantro & pepper flakes, if you like. Enjoy!
Time saving tip: If your chicken breasts are extra plump, an alternative to pounding is slicing the chicken breast in half horizontally (hamburger style) to make it into an even piece.
We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.
Always check for FfL-friendly ingredients.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Category: Recipes
- Method: 30 Minute Meals
Keywords: Coconut Lime Chicken