This rich and flavorful creamy pumpkin sauce uses a few staple ingredients and is loaded with vitamins and nutrients.
It’s the ultimate fall comfort recipe and the perfect way to warm up on a chilly fall evening. Unlike most cream sauces, this recipe doesn’t have excess calories that leave you feeling stuffed and bloated. It comes together quickly, taking less than 15 minutes to prepare.
Got some fresh spinach on hand? Toss a couple of handfuls into the sauce for an extra dose of vegetables and a boost of vibrant color.
We hope you love it as much as we do! Please let us know how it turns out in the comments.
The BEST pumpkin sauce recipe
Both our families are huge fans of creamy pasta sauces. But many store-bought sauces are made with heavy cream, highly processed ingredients and consist of a day’s worth of calories in just one small helping. This Creamy Pumpkin Sauce uses all real-food ingredients, cuts back on calories and is SO easy to whip up. It pairs well with almost any pasta dish but our absolute favorite combination is butternut squash ravioli tossed in this savory sauce.
The sauce contains a healthy amount of pumpkin, which is rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. If you have picky eaters at home, this meal is a simple way to get them to eat and enjoy their veggies without any pushback. You must try it—it’s honestly the BEST comfort food!
Top tips for prepping ahead: (on your food prep day or the night before)
Pre-chopping, cutting or cooking ingredients really helps to reduce stress and simplify dinner on busy weeknights. We know, we know, we’re always talking about meal prep, but it truly is the holy grail to healthy eating!
- Chop onions
Can you prep the sauce the night before?
Yes. Follow the prep instructions, allow to cool, cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove from fridge, warm on the stovetop or microwave and spoon over your veggies or meal.
For a vegan version
For a vegan version, you can use plant-based milk, but the result will be less creamy. You can also use vegan cooking cream (oat or soy) OR make homemade cashew cream by blending soaked raw cashews with a little bit of water. Coconut cream yields a thicker consistency than plant-based milk but will add a slight coconut flavor to the sauce.
How to store your leftovers
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
This Creamy Pumpkin Sauce is simple to whip up and is also freezer-friendly. While everything is out, consider making extra to freeze for future meals. Cook the sauce as directed, allow it to cool completely, store in an airtight container (mason jars work great for this) and freeze for up to 3 months.
What to serve this Creamy Pumpkin Sauce with:
- Butternut Squash Ravioli (our personal favorite)
- In a mac and cheese dish
- Spaghetti squash
- Baked in a casserole dish with chicken. Top the chicken with goat cheese and pepitas.
- With browned Italian sausage
- Sautéed mushrooms: Sauté the mushrooms in olive oil until they’re tender. Top mushrooms with pumpkin sauce.
- Roasted vegetables
- Baked sweet potatoes
- Tossed with fried rice
- To dip Crispy Baked Fries in
- Drizzled on scrambled eggs
This rich and flavorful creamy pumpkin sauce uses a few staple ingredients and tastes like heaven! It’s the ultimate fall comfort recipe and takes less than 10 minutes to prepare.
- Add EVOO to a large sauté pan or pot. Sauté onion and garlic on medium-low heat for 5 minutes, until onions are slightly translucent.
- Spoon sautéed onions, garlic and all remaining sauce ingredients into a high-speed blender. Set large pan aside for later use and blend sauce until smooth. You can also use an immersion blender to blend sauce in a mixing bowl OR just add remaining sauce ingredients directly into pan with onions for a chunkier sauce.
- Pour sauce into the pan you used to sauté your onion and garlic. Simmer on low for 5-7 minutes until sauce thickens, stirring frequently.