Delicious Sweet Potato Fall Pasta Dish (with Salmon Option)
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
Loaded with pan-seared Brussels spouts, tender sweet potatoes, fresh spinach, cranberries and earthy, yet slightly peppery sage, this quick and easy pasta recipe is fast, flavorful and family-friendly!
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound raw Brussels sprouts, stems removed and quartered
- 1 cup chopped onion (about 1 small onion)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoons Himalayan pink salt, divided
- 1 medium sweet potato, cut into 1/4 inch cubes (about 1 pound)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 & 1/2 cups water
- 1 (8 oz) box cassava flour penne or bowtie pasta (see notes regarding whole wheat)
- 1 cup spinach, tightly packed
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or cherries
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 ounces feta cheese (optional)
- In a large skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of EVOO over medium heat. Add Brussels sprouts, onion, garlic and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Sauté for 7-9 minutes, stirring occasionally, until Brussels sprouts are tender. Remove Brussels sprout mixture from pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet (no need to wipe clean), add 2 teaspoons of EVOO, sweet potatoes and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broth, water and pasta to skillet. Bring to a low boil. Continue to simmer pasta and potatoes for 15 minutes, until pasta is tender and most of the liquid evaporates.
- Add spinach, Brussels sprout mixture, cranberries, sage and pepper to skillet. Toss and heat an additional 1-2 minutes, until spinach wilts. Remove from heat.
- Plate pasta and garnish with feta cheese. Enjoy!
Serving it with salmon: If you want to add protein to your meal, we suggest pairing it with THIS simple salmon bake. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and prep salmon in foil pack BEFORE starting your Sweet Potato Pasta dish (we add a little chopped fresh sage to the foil pack since we already have it for the pasta). Set prepped salmon aside. Once you’re midway through sautéing your Brussels sprouts, place salmon in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, depending on thickness of salmon. Keep pasta warm on stovetop until salmon is cooked through.
Vegan-friendly: To make this meal vegan, substitute chicken broth with vegetable broth and eliminate feta cheese.
Gluten-free: Use gluten-free pasta, if necessary.
Whole grain pasta: You can use whole-grain pasta in place of cassava flour pasta, although the cook time may vary slightly. Because whole-wheat pasta tends to take longer to cook than cassava pasta (generally 3-5 minutes longer), we recommend you only sauté the sweet potatoes for 2 minutes.
We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.
Always check for FfL-friendly ingredients.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Category: Recipes
- Method: One Pot
Keywords: Sweet Potato Pasta, Fall Pasta, Sweet Potatoes, Pasta, Salmon Pasta