Easy Homemade Hummus (+ Ways to Flavor and Use It)
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
Hummus is one of those healthy foods that goes great on almost anything. For unexpected company, keep the ingredients on hand to serve this delicious, quick dip. You can spice things up with roasted red peppers, sun dried tomatoes, mushrooms, hot sauce or one of the other ingredients listed. Whether you pair it with raw vegetables or toasted pita wedges and eat it as a snack or appetizer, or top your toast or an open-faced sandwich with it, your taste buds will be jumping for joy!
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons minced garlic, to taste
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon cumin (can substitute with paprika)
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/8 teaspoon finely ground pepper
- 1–3 tablespoons water (only if NEEDED to thin and perfect consistency)
- 2 (15 oz.) cans cooked beans, drained and rinsed (white, garbanzo or chickpeas)
- sesame seeds (to garnish)
If You Want to Get Creative:
- roasted red pepper
- sun dried tomatoes
- caramelized onions (cook over medium heat with extra virgin olive oil)
- roasted mushrooms (bake or cook over medium heat with extra virgin olive oil)
- hot sauce
- Add all main ingredients, except beans and sesame seeds, into food processor. Process for 20 seconds or until blended. (We use a Cuisinart 14-cup food processor, which takes approximately 20 seconds).
- If you want to mix it up, add 1 or 2 of the ingredients listed above under the “If You Want to Get Creative” section and process for an additional 10 seconds.
- Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl. Add beans into food processor. Process until hummus reaches desired consistency. If needed, add more olive oil or 1-3 tablespoons of water to thin and perfect consistency. Process for another minute.
- If possible, chill in fridge overnight so hummus has time to infuse flavors. Top with toasted sesame seeds, serve and enjoy!
We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.
Always check for FfL-friendly ingredients.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Category: Recipes
- Method: Too Easy