Hummus is one of those foods that goes great on almost anything.
Whether you pair it with raw vegetables and eat it as a snack, or top your toast or an open-faced sandwich with it, your taste buds will be jumping for joy!
Most store bought brands of hummus are FILLED with preservatives, oils and unnecessary ingredients. Rather than cutting yourself short with highly processed hummus, try our roasted red pepper recipe. Simple and delicious… it doesn’t get much better than that!
Can I make extra sauce or freeze it?
You sure can. In fact, we recommend it! You can freeze it for up to 3 months. It’s great to have on hand and serve with fresh veggies for any occasion.
If you want to get creative with flavors:
If you want to mix it up and get a little creative with your hummus, try adding or combining roasted red peppers, sun dried tomatoes, mushrooms, hot sauce or one of the other ingredients listed in the section below.
How much should I eat as a snack?
Hummus is delicious, packed with nutrients and incredibly good for you. But just like everything in life, it should be enjoyed in moderation. Generally speaking, a snack-sized portion is about 2 tablespoons.
Some tasty ways to use your hummus:
- APPETIZER OR SNACK: Serve hummus with cucumber slices and red pepper slices as an appetizer or snack.
- PRE/POST-WORKOUT SNACK: Complex carbohydrates + protein = perfect pre/post-workout snack. Enjoy 2 tablespoons of hummus for a quick source of energy.
- BREAKFAST TOAST OR ENGLISH MUFFIN: Avocado, hummus and egg on toast, an English muffin OR in a breakfast wrap. (Optional: Top with a few sliced cherry tomatoes).
- BREAKFAST WRAP: Scrambled egg, hummus, spinach and tomato.
- MEDITERRANEAN PITA: Hummus, cucumber, tomato, Feta and onion.
- SANDWICH SPREAD: Skip mayo and use your leftover hummus to top a turkey sandwich. Grill on a panini press and serve.
- SOUTHWEST HUMMUS WRAPS: Corn, black beans, hummus, tomato, avocado, shredded lettuce and a dash of cayenne pepper. You can even add grilled chicken!
- PANINI SANDWICH: Hummus, tomato, avocado and feta. (Optional: Add sliced turkey breast.)
- QUESADILLA: Hummus, mashed avocado and queso fresco.
- GRILLED MEDITERRANEAN PIZZA: Use hummus as the base. Top with vegetables (grilled zucchini, red peppers and eggplant), goat cheese and kalamata olives. Garnish with fresh basil.
- SALAD DRESSING: 3 tablespoons hummus, 2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice, 4-6 finely chopped kalamata olives, 1 tablespoon olive oil. The garlicky taste of hummus goes especially well tossed with spinach and arugula.
Hummus is one of those healthy foods that goes great on almost anything. For unexpected company, keep the ingredients on hand to serve this delicious, quick dip. You can spice things up with roasted red peppers, sun dried tomatoes, mushrooms, hot sauce or one of the other ingredients listed. Whether you pair it with raw vegetables or toasted pita wedges and eat it as a snack or appetizer, or top your toast or an open-faced sandwich with it, your taste buds will be jumping for joy!
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons minced garlic, to taste
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon cumin (can substitute with paprika)
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/8 teaspoon finely ground pepper
- 1–3 tablespoons water (only if NEEDED to thin and perfect consistency)
- 2 (15 oz.) cans cooked beans, drained and rinsed (white, garbanzo or chickpeas)
- sesame seeds (to garnish)
- Add all main ingredients, except beans and sesame seeds, into food processor. Process for 20 seconds or until blended. (We use a Cuisinart 14-cup food processor, which takes approximately 20 seconds).
- If you want to mix it up, add 1 or 2 of the ingredients listed above under the “If You Want to Get Creative” section and process for an additional 10 seconds.
- Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl. Add beans into food processor. Process until hummus reaches desired consistency. If needed, add more olive oil or 1-3 tablespoons of water to thin and perfect consistency. Process for another minute.
- If possible, chill in fridge overnight so hummus has time to infuse flavors. Top with toasted sesame seeds, serve and enjoy!
We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.
- Serving Size: 12