Healthy Basil Spinach Pesto Sauce (Simple + Picky Eater Approved)
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1.5 1x
Nine simple ingredients are all it takes to make this gorgeously green, easy-to-make, picky-eater approved pesto sauce. It’s so flavorful you’ll want to spread it on everything! This Homemade Pesto Sauce is the perfect recipe to replace your store-bought sauce. It’s simple to make, uses all real-food ingredients and packs a nutritious punch with the addition of spinach. The subtle flavors of lemon and red pepper take this pesto sauce to the next level. The best part? It’s a great way to get your picky eaters to eat, and enjoy, a helping of greens without pushback.
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 3 cups spinach
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup cashews
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional, but adds a nice little pop of mild heat)
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Add all ingredients, except EVOO, to a high-powered blender or food processor and pulse 8-10 times. At this point you’ll have a coarse mixture of basil, spinach, cheese and nuts. Scrape the sides of the bowl down with a spatula as often as necessary.
- Add your EVOO and turn food processor on for 30-40 seconds, until your sauce reaches a smooth and creamy consistency. Be sure to taste test your sauce and add additional salt or pepper, if necessary.
- Store your pesto in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Small mason jars work extremely well and are great for freezing when making a large batch.
We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.
Always check for FfL-friendly ingredients.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Category: Recipes
- Method: Too Easy
Keywords: Basil Spinach Pesto Sauce, Pesto