Healthy Homemade Refried Beans (Easy + Authentic + Oil Free)
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
These easy, authentic-style refried beans take less than 10 minutes to make and don’t use vegetable oil or lard. Top them with freshly crumbled cojita
(queso fresco) and you’ve got yourself a knock-out side dish or dip!
- 1 (15 oz.) can black or pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon virgin coconut oil (for greasing the pan)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (about 3/4 small onion)
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- queso fresco (optional topping)
- Add beans and water to high-powered blender or food processor. Blend until beans become a paste. If you don’t have a high-powered blender you can mash by hand, but beans will not be as smooth and creamy.
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add coconut oil, garlic and onions. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, until onions are slightly translucent in color. Add bean puree and reduce heat to low, stirring every 1-2 minutes, until refried beans are warm. Top with crumbled queso fresco and enjoy!
Vegan: For a vegan version omit the queso fresco.
We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.
Always check for FfL-friendly ingredients.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 5 min
- Category: Recipes
- Method: Too Easy, 30 Minute Meals
Keywords: Homemade Refried Beans, Refried Beans