There’s nothing better than a heaping mountain of warm mashed potatoes to complement a meal on a crisp night.
Here’s how you can whip up guilt-free, homemade mashed potatoes with just a handful of simple ingredients.
What type of potatoes should I use?
We love a little more texture when we make mashed potatoes, so we typically use red potatoes. If you love a smoother, more creamy consistency, use russets.
Do I need to peel my potatoes?
Nope! Peeling your potatoes isn’t necessary. Ultimately, it’s entirely up to you or your families personal preferences. We love tiny little pieces of the potato skin in our mashed potatoes, so we don’t peel them. Plus, peeling potatoes is a tad time consuming and since we’re busy mommas, we simplify whenever possible.
Should I use an electric mixer to blend my mashed potatoes or mash them with a potato masher?
If you prefer your mashed potatoes to have a much creamier consistency, use an electric mixer. For a thicker, slightly lumpier consistency, use a potato masher.Print
There’s nothing better than a heaping mountain of warm mashed potatoes to complement a meal on a crisp night. Here’s how you can whip up guilt-free, homemade mashed potatoes with just a handful of simple ingredients.
- Fill your pot with water, add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil.
- Peel (optional), wash and chop your potatoes into quarters, about 1-2″ in size.
- Once your water is boiling, add chopped potatoes. The water should completely cover the potatoes. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover loosely and boil for 15-20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender enough to be poked through with no resistance.
- Drain well, rinse quickly with hot water and allow to drain again. Place potatoes back in metal pot or in a large mixing bowl.
- Warm your milk prior to adding it (about 30 seconds in the microwave), so it doesn’t cool your potatoes. Add melted butter and warm milk to potatoes and and mix with an electric mixer or hand masher until your potatoes reach the consistency you desire.
- Add parsley, chives, salt and pepper, mix until combined and serve!
We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.
- Serving Size: 6
Keywords: Herbed Mashed Potatoes