How To Make The Best Homemade Vanilla Extract (Simple and Cost-Saving)
- Yield: 750 ml 1x
This recipe for homemade vanilla extract uses GRADE B Madagascar vanilla beans for a traditional, rich and creamy vanilla. Not only does it taste spectacular, the smell of fresh vanilla is delightful. Once you make your own extract, you will never go back to store-bought vanilla.
- 15 vanilla beans (Madagascar)
- 750 ml 80 proof vodka (Titos vodka works great)
- Remove 1/4 cup of vodka from the full bottle of vodka.
- On a cutting board, slice each bean length-wise. If the beans are too dry to split, cut them into 1 inch pieces. You can even go as far as scraping the vanilla bean flecks from inside the bean out with a knife and adding them to the jar of vodka, in addition to the bean.
- Add beans to the vodka bottle, making sure they are completely submerged. If the vodka bottle is too full, remove more vodka so all 15 beans fit. After adding beans, tightly seal the bottle. Shake and store somewhere at room temperature, out of direct sunlight.
- Once a week, shake the bottle and set it back on the shelf. For best results, I like to shimmy to the beat of Shakira!
- You can use the extract as soon as 8 weeks, but it only gets better with age, so ideally, you should wait 6+ months. Once complete, you can remove the vanilla beans or leave them in the bottle so the flavor continues to evolve, like a fine wine. I’ve left the beans in anywhere from 2 months to over a year.
Making Vanilla Extract Gift:
- Sanitize a medium-size mason jar. Fill each mason jar with one cup of vodka. Add five beans per jar, sliced in half lengthwise. If the beans do not fit in the jar completely submerged, cut them in half.
- If you want to get a little cute and creative with your vanilla extract as a gift, tie yarn or a string around the neck of the bottle with a small/medium-size cooker cutter attached. It’s so cute and functional!
Always check for FfL-friendly ingredients.
We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.
- Category: How To's, Do It Yourself, Health & Wellness, Recipes