There’s nothing like runny sunny-side up eggs, fiery salsa, avocado, and fresh corn tortillas to start your morning.
This is our absolute FAVORITE way to eat eggs over the weekend. In fact, we recently started making our own tortillas
and freezing them for this yummy meal! If you’re a fan of food with a Mexican twist… this is the perfect weekend brekki combo. Add some hot black beans on the side and you’re likely to hit your daily happiness goals before lunch.
Let’s talk tortillas
When choosing a tortilla, look for FfL-friendly ingredients. A good place to find tortillas, if not made locally, is in the refrigerator or freezer section. We typically purchase partially cooked tortillas from the brand “Cabo Chips” but there are many other companies such as “Food For Life.” Why the freezer or fridge section? No added preservatives = limited shelf life.
If time isn’t an issue, try making your own! After a trip to Mexico we made a batch and never purchased store-bought again. The difference in taste and texture is out of this world and worth the extra work!
Some tips when making your Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Tacos:
- The beauty of this dish is you can be so creative with it! Add a cup of pinto or black beans OR cooked turkey sausage, ground beef, chicken, Crispy Pork Carnitas or chorizo between the layer of tortillas or eggs.
- Add more or less cheese to you or your family’s liking. I, Kalie, am not a big “cheese lover” but my husband, Erich, is. To keep everyone happy, I add most of the cheese to Erich’s breakfast tacos, and less to mine.
- Looking for a simple side dish to serve with your casserole? Try these Homemade Refried Beans.
- If you’re making this meal for a crowd, try this quick + easy casserole version.
There’s nothing like runny sunny-side up eggs, fiery salsa, avocado, and fresh corn tortillas to start your morning. Add some hot black beans on the side and you’re likely to hit your daily happiness goals before lunch.
- Pan fry two eggs, sunny-side up style.
- Lay out corn tortillas on parchment paper or a medium pan. Place one egg on each tortilla.
- Turn broiler on low. Spoon salsa over the eggs. Sprinkle queso fresco cheese on top of salsa. Place in oven and broil for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with sliced avocado, hot sauce and cilantro. Enjoy!
On-the-go: For huevos rancheros on-the-go, substitute the sunny-side up eggs with hard-boiled eggs.
We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.
- Serving Size: 1
Keywords: Breakfast Tacos, Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Tacos