These juicy black bean patties make for an absolutely outstanding breakfast, lunch or dinner.
These burgers are made with natural, healthy ingredients and can be enjoyed as a sandwich, eaten in a Bibb lettuce wrap or served on top of a salad. Wanna get low-carb creative? Try using grilled portobello mushrooms instead of rolls. Looking for a quick and easy breakfast? Serve it alongside eggs.
Real food ingredients
We absolutely love black bean burgers and all of their flavor. While store-bought may taste great, most brands don’t use real food ingredients. Instead, these foods are typically loaded with added sodium, refined sugar, vegetable oils and artificial ingredients. And what’s worse, most of the time, the vegetables don’t play a lead role (often they’re one of the last ingredients listed) and have lost most of their nutritional value during processing.
This recipe takes the guesswork out of knowing if your burgers are a healthy addition to your meal or nothing more than a real-food imposter.
Picky eaters, no problem!
Before your family turns up their noses to this recipe, have them try it. My (Pam’s) husband typically avoids anything made with black beans like they’re the plague. After a little convincing, he gave this black bean burger a shot and, to his surprise, he loved it. Now he asks for it to be made and served his favorite way… on a bun and topped with melted Swiss and a dollop of Primal Kitchen’s Chipotle Lime Mayonnaise. Yum!
What toppings work well with it?
The sky is the limit when it comes to bringing this patty to life. Our absolute favorite topping is Garlicky Avocado Aioli (recipe below). Some other incredible options:
- mashed avocado or avocado slices
- sweet pickles
- roasted red peppers
- sautéed mushrooms
- caramelized onions
- grilled pineapple
- cheeses such as pepper jack, Swiss, cheddar or herbed goat cheese
- condiments such as pesto, spicy mustard, salsa or BBQ sauce
Can you sense our excitement? Get creative… the combinations of flavors are endless and makes eating this burger a new sensation every time you eat it.
What type of breadcrumbs should I use?
Look for breadcrumbs with FfL-friendly (real food) ingredients. Our personal favorite, which is gluten-free and made with only one ingredient, is Watusee Chickpea Breadcrumbs. In a pinch, we’ve used Kikkomnan 100% Whole Wheat Panko Bread Crumbs.
Can I bake my Black Bean Burgers instead of cooking them on the stovetop?
Yes. Place patties on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes on each side, 20 minutes total.
Can I prep these ahead?
Yes, follow the prep instructions (stop just before baking). Stack each burger between parchment paper, store in an airtight container and refrigerate overnight. Remove from fridge and cook.
Cooked or uncooked, these burgers freeze well for up to 3 months. Stack each burger between parchment paper and store in a freezer baggie and airtight container. Thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat cooked burgers to your liking. If burgers are uncooked, follow instructions below. Make avocado aioli prior to serving.
A great appetizer for entertaining
Looking for a deliciously simple appetizer for entertaining? Simply follow the prep instructions but make the patties slider size, rather than the size of a burger patty. Plate and top each with a dollop of Garlicky Avocado Aioli. Be prepared—you’ll have friends asking for the recipe and handing out compliments left and right!
Some ways to “reinvent” your leftover Black Bean Burgers:
- Grilled goodness: Served on grilled portobello mushrooms
- Quesadilla style! Add leftovers to a tortilla. Top it with a small amount of cheese and a second tortilla. Grill it and top it with avocado slices for a great tasting lunch.
- Fajitas: Served with sautéed onions, green peppers and tomatoes
- A spruced-up salad: On a bed of greens topped with sautéed veggies
- For brekkie: Tossed in scrambled eggs and added to a breakfast quesadilla.
- Pre/post-workout snack: Because beans are easy-to-digest carbs that power you up without weighing you down, these burgers double as a delicious pre/post-workout snack. The fat from the Avocado Aioli helps to fuel your body for longer exercise sessions. Cut them into quarters, add a dollop of aioli and enjoy a piece before or after a strenuous workout.