Mexican Style Egg Bake (Paleo)
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
Like a crustless quiche, this healthy egg bake tops the charts for simple breakfast recipes. It’s gluten-free, paleo and low-carb, plus it’s perfect for early morning breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner. Top it with salsa and serve with toast or tortillas for the complete package.
- 1/2 pound leftover taco meat OR cooked ground beef (substitute with sausage, chicken, pork, or beans)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (3 oz.) can green chilies, drained
- 12 eggs (beaten)
- 1/3 cup milk or unsweetened almond milk
- 1 pinch Himalayan pink salt
- 1–2 pinches pepper
- 1/4 cup cheese OR nutritional yeast
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an edged 9×13 baking dish with parchment paper (for easy cleanup and cutting) OR grease pan with extra virgin olive oil/coconut oil.
- Place your protein (leftover taco meat or protein of choice) and onions, peppers and green chilies on the bottom of your prepared pan.
- In large bowl whisk eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Pour over meat and veggies. Evenly sprinkle nutritional yeast or cheese on top of eggs.
- Bake for 30 minutes, uncovered.
- Remove from the oven, cut into slices, top with your favorites and serve. (If you used parchment paper, grab two sides of the paper and remove your egg bake from pan before slicing and serving.)
After a day or two, the egg surrounding your onions may turn a slight green/blue color (don’t fret – this is totally normal). You can prevent this by sautéing your onions beforehand, but it is not necessary.
Nutritional yeast is not as scary as it sounds! Not many have this in their pantry, and that’s okay! The reason it is listed in the ingredients is that my family does not tolerate dairy very well BUT loves (and misses cheese). If your family is like ours and has a dairy intolerance, try nutritional yeast. It gives off a “cheesy” flavor, without the indigestion that later ensues. You can replace the nutritional yeast with equal parts dairy cheese OR leave it out altogether.
I prefer not to add salt or pepper to this recipe since the taco seasoning I use already contains both. Feel free to add salt and pepper to taste.
We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.
Always check for FfL-friendly ingredients.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Category: Recipes
- Method: One Pot, Too Easy
Keywords: Egg Bake, Mexican Style Egg Bake