This chicken piccata is elevated to new heights with this deliciously simple recipe!
Serve your chicken with a baked spaghetti squash to catch all of the delicious sauce. You can bake the spaghetti squash ahead of time or put it in the oven a few minutes before starting your chicken. Check out FfL’s Spaghetti Squash recipe for a simple side with next to no prep needed.
How to Pound Out A Chicken Breast:
- Use a meat tenderizer, wine bottle, rolling pin, pan, pot or can of food to pound out the chicken.
- Place the chicken breast between two sheets of plastic wrap or parchment paper. If using plastic wrap, moisten chicken with a few drops of water so the plastic wrap doesn’t stick.
- Starting with the thickest part of the chicken, start to pound on the chicken gently. Make sure you use tiny taps rather than hard hits. If you pound out the chicken too hard, you’ll pulverize the breast rather than flatten it. If you’re not making progress, add a little more pressure with each hit.
- Working from the center out toward the edges of the breast, pound chicken, moving each strike slightly out.
- When you reach the outside of the breast, start again from the center, moving in a different direction until the entire breast is the desired thickness.
- Generally, about 1/4″ – 1/2″ is a good thickness. Make sure the breast is pounded out evenly.
This chicken piccata is elevated to new heights with this deliciously simple recipe. Serve your chicken with a baked spaghetti squash to catch all of the delicious sauce. You can bake the spaghetti squash ahead of time or put it in the oven a few minutes before starting your chicken. Check out FfL’s Spaghetti Squash recipe for a simple side with next to no prep needed.
- 4 (6 oz.) chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup whole-wheat flour, divided
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup chicken broth, divided
- 1 & 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 & 1/2 tablespoons capers
- 3 tablespoons parsley
- Pound out chicken until it is 1/2 inch thick. For directions on how to pound out your chicken, see above.
- Place flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Remove 1 teaspoon of flour and place in a bowl with 1/4 cup stock; mix and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Once butter melts, evenly coat pan. Dredge chicken in flour and shake off excess. Add chicken to pan and cook until done, approximately 8 minutes on each side.
- While chicken is cooking, heat 1/2 tablespoon of butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add wine, cook until liquid almost evaporates, approximately 5 minutes, scraping pan frequently. Add remaining 1/2 cup stock and bring to a boil. Cook 5 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in reserved stock and flour mixture. Cook an additional minute. Remove pan from heat. Stir in lemon juice and capers.
- Place chicken breast on each plate and top with sauce. Garnish each chicken breast with parsley leaves. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 4
Keywords: Chicken Piccata