Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
Looking for a healthy snack to munch on at work?
Hummus is one of those foods that goes great on almost anything. Whether you pair it with raw vegetables or eat it as a snack, or top your toast or an open-faced sandwich with it, your taste buds will be jumping for joy with this delicious roasted red pepper hummus!
Most store bought brands of hummus are FILLED with preservatives, oils and unnecessary ingredients. Rather than cutting yourself short with highly processed hummus, try our roasted red pepper recipe. Simple and delicious… it doesn’t get much better than that!
Can I roast my own red peppers rather than using jarred?
Of course! Roasted red peppers are easy to make and can add some added smoky flavor to your hummus. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Cut each pepper in quarters, remove stems, seeds and membranes. Lay peppers on a foiled-lined baking sheet. Allow peppers to roast for 20 minutes or until slightly collapsed.
Can I make extra sauce and freeze it?
You sure can. In fact, we recommend it! Just allow the hummus to cool completely before freezing it. It’s great to have on hand and serve with fresh veggies for any occasion.
How much should I eat as a snack?
Hummus is delicious, packed with nutrients and incredibly good for you. But just like everything in life, it should be enjoyed in moderation. Generally speaking, a snack-sized portion is about 2 tablespoons.
Some tasty ways to use your hummus:
- APPETIZER OR SNACK: Serve 2 tablespoons of leftover hummus with cucumber slices and red pepper slices as an appetizer or snack.
- PRE/POST-WORKOUT SNACK: Complex carbohydrates + protein = perfect pre/post-workout snack. Enjoy 2 tablespoons of hummus for a quick source of energy.
- BREAKFAST TOAST OR ENGLISH MUFFIN: Avocado, hummus and egg on toast, an English muffin OR in a breakfast wrap. (Optional: Top with a few sliced cherry tomatoes.)
- BREAKFAST WRAP: Scrambled egg, hummus, spinach and tomato.
- MEDITERRANEAN PITA: Cucumber, tomato, Feta and onion.
- SANDWICH SPREAD: Skip mayo and use your leftover hummus to top a turkey sandwich. Grill on a panini press and serve.
- SOUTHWEST HUMMUS WRAPS: Corn, black beans, hummus, tomato, avocado, shredded lettuce and a dash of cayenne pepper. You can even add grilled chicken!
- PANINI SANDWICH: Hummus, tomato, avocado and feta. (Optional: Add sliced turkey breast.)
- QUESADILLA: Hummus, mashed avocado and queso fresco.
- GRILLED MEDITERRANEAN PIZZA: Use hummus as the base. Top with vegetables (grilled zucchini, red peppers and eggplant), goat cheese and Kalamata olives. Garnish with fresh basil.
- SALAD DRESSING: 3 tablespoons hummus, 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice, 4-6 finely chopped Kalamata olives, 1 tablespoon olive oil. The garlicky taste of hummus goes especially well tossed with spinach and arugula.
Share The Goodness
Treat Yourself to a Weekly Wellness Boost!
Unlock VIP access to self-care secrets, delightful surprises, and a dash of healthy food inspiration. Join us now and let the pampering begin!
"*" indicates required fields
You May Also Enjoy
Leave a Comment
Hi beautiFULL, We’re Pam and Kalie
If you want your family to live a healthier life, you’ve come to the right place! Our simple wellness practices have been handed down for three generations and are the secret weapon to staying healthy and sane.
GET YOUR FREE GUIDE
Real Food Crash Course
Learn how to cut out processed food in a realistic and manageable way.
Free Guide Food – Real Food Crash Course
"*" indicates required fields