Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
With succulent chicken nestled around vibrant, caramelized vegetables, these Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas are an all-in-one meal. Just give it a pop in the oven and you’ve got one flavorful dinner ready to serve in less than 30 minutes!
A quick, easy, foolproof chicken fajita recipe
For years I (Kalie) steered clear of fajita recipes because I had the crazy idea that they were too time consuming to make. Then one night a craving for chicken fajitas struck that just couldn’t be ignored, and this easy recipe was created.
As a busy wife and mamma of two, this delicious dinner is one of my (Kalie’s) all-time favorite sheet-pan recipes. It’s the ultimate combination of vibrant summer vegetables and tender chicken. It’s simple to make, the clean-up is minimal and the leftovers can be served a variety of different ways, making it an ideal weeknight meal idea. Trust us, when you’ve got a recipe as easy and tasty as these Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas, it’s sure to become a part of your regular dinner rotation.
FfL-friendly, real-food ingredients
Have you ever read the ingredients listed in packets of store-bought fajita and taco seasonings? Most are filled to the gills with preservatives, processed sugars, artificial flavoring and sodium. Ick!
The spice blend used in this recipe is made with a few staple seasonings that you’ll likely already have on hand. You’ll save yourself money, omit heavily processed ingredients and amplify flavor with this simple combination. It’s so flavorful we’ve even used it when making vegan chickpea fajitas.
Can I use other kinds of meat in place of chicken?
Yeppers! We’ve used shrimp, thinly sliced steak and even tried chickpeas for a vegan variation!
Top tips for prepping ahead (on your food prep day or the night before):
Pre-chopping or cutting ingredients ahead really helps to reduce stress and simplify meals on busy weekdays. We know, we know, we’re always talking about meal prep, but it truly is the holy grail to healthy eating!
- Wash and chop your bell peppers and onion. Store them in the fridge in an airtight container.
- Cube or slice chicken and store in the fridge in an airtight container or Ziploc bag.
- Combine dry ingredients (garlic powder, chili powder, salt, paprika, pepper and cumin) in an airtight container and store on the counter or in the refrigerator.
When you’re ready for dinner, throw everything in a bowl, toss it together, spread it out on the sheet pan and bake!
Make a double batch
We recommend prepping a double batch to use throughout the week or freeze for future meals. You can use the ingredients in multiple meals throughout the week. We like to call this “cook once, eat twice” by giving your meal a makeover and reinventing your leftovers to create an entirely new meal.
Not only is this fajita recipe easy to make, but it’s also freezer-friendly. While the ingredients are out and the dishes are dirty, why not make extra to freeze for future meals throughout the busy workweek?
Once it’s cooled completely, store it in a gallon-size freezer bag or airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and warm.
Another option: use your leftover fajitas in an array of meals throughout the week by mixing-and-matching it with other foods (like the ones listed further down the page).
This is one dish that actually tastes as good, if not better, after it’s sat in the fridge for a day or two. Trust us, you’ll be looking forward to leftovers the next day!
To store: You can store leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 3 to 4 days.
To freeze: Add leftovers to a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months.
Some toppings that pair well with these fajitas
We like to keep our chicken fajitas really simple with just a squeeze of lime, slices of avocado, maybe some fresh pico de gallo and a small dollop of Greek yogurt, but there are so many other ingredients you can top your chicken fajitas with.
- Shredded lettuce
- Shredded red cabbage
- Sliced avocado, guacamole or Mashed Avocado Spread
- Finely chopped jalapeños or pickled jalapeños
- Grilled pineapple
- Cotija or queso fresco cheese
- Greek yogurt (a wonderful substitute for sour cream)
- Salsa or pico de gallo
- Hot sauce
- Beans (black or pinto)
Ways to serve or “reinvent” your Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
When you want a light and healthy meal, this chicken and veggie combo hits the spot. If you’re looking to beef it up a bit, here are a few ways to do it.
- Pair it with a side of cooked quinoa, barley, brown or wild rice.
- Serve it on a salad.
- Wrap it in your favorite FfL-friendly tortilla shell, along with some fire-roasted salsa, avocado slices and Greek yogurt (or sour cream). (If you have some extra time and want to make homemade tortillas, this tried-and-true Whole-Grain Corn Tortillas (authentic Mexican recipe) is our favorite. They’re freezer-friendly, so make a double batch for future meals!)
- Make fajita bowls. Place rice on the bottom and layer with fajita mixture, black beans, a spoonful of Greek yogurt (or sour cream), pico de gallo, shredded lettuce and any other favorite taco-inspired toppings.
- Grab a handful of baby spinach, put it in a bowl, wilt the spinach for 20 seconds in the microwave, add fajita mixture, beans, pickled jalapeño, guacamole and a tiny bit of cheese (cotija, queso fresco or Colby Jack).
- In a grain bowl: Bowls are literally one of the BEST ways to mix and match leftovers! In a bowl, layer chicken, veggies and any other fun leftovers you have in the fridge that will compliment the other flavors. Get creative—possibly some wilted spinach, leftover Sweet Potato Home Fries and a few slices of avocado?
- Time-saving: If you’re tight on time, use chicken tenders rather than breasts. You can cut them into fajita-size strips (slice each tender into 2-3 strips), rather than cutting breasts into cubes.
- Time-saving: These herb shears are an amazing way to minimize chopping. They save so much time in the kitchen and are something we would highly recommend if you frequently use fresh herbs in your meals.
- Pro tip: The difference in taste between fresh and bottled juice is monumental. Our secret to lime squeezing success… we use a citrus squeezer. We like to think we’re semi-strong gals, but to be completely honest, squeezing limes hurts our hands. Citrus squeezers don’t cost much and they make life so much easier. They also extract twice as much juice. This Bellemain Citrus Squeezer is the one we keep on hand and has been a saving grace when extracting freshly squeezed citrus juice.
- Easily customizable: If you frequent FfL, you know that we’re all about modifying recipes to suit your flavor preferences and needs. This recipe is extremely versatile. You can switch up the veggies to suit you and your family’s tastes or you can use up whatever veggies you have in the fridge. Just make sure to choose veggies with a similar cook time or account for the difference.
- Heat: If your family loves a little kick like ours does, add ¼ teaspoon of cayenne for a little zing of heat.
- Serving: Set all your toppings out buffet-style.
The easiest, best chicken fajitas ever, right?
If you make this Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas Recipe, we would love to hear how it turned out! Leave a comment below sharing what your friends and family thought of it. We love hearing from you and your ideas inspire us all! Don’t forget to tag @fullforlifegal on Instagram so we can admire your masterpiece! 🌟
Share The Goodness
Treat Yourself to a Weekly Wellness Boost!
Unlock VIP access to self-care secrets, delightful surprises, and a dash of healthy food inspiration. Join us now and let the pampering begin!
"*" indicates required fields
If you've had meal prepping on your to-do list for quite some time
…but every time you try you end up right back where you started, feeling stressed, frustrated and defeated, check out our proven course, Meal Prep Made Easy.
You’ll learn how to enjoy healthy, time-saving and money-saving meals your whole family will love, even on the most hectic days.Get Started Now!
You May Also Enjoy
Leave a Comment
Hi beautiFULL, We’re Pam and Kalie
If you want your family to live a healthier life, you’ve come to the right place! Our simple wellness practices have been handed down for three generations and are the secret weapon to staying healthy and sane.
GET YOUR FREE GUIDE
Real Food Crash Course
Learn how to cut out processed food in a realistic and manageable way.
Free Guide Food – Real Food Crash Course
"*" indicates required fields