Looking for a savory quiche idea for your weekly recipe rotation? You’ll love this Shrimp and Asparagus Quiche.
Filled with shrimp, herbs, sautéed asparagus and onions, this healthy quiche can be served for breakfast, brunch or as an easy dinner. It pairs perfectly with a side salad and makes outstanding leftovers too.
How to shop for the best ingredients:
- Pie crust: Choose a FfL-friendly crust, made with simple ingredients that you recognize such as whole-grain flour, water, butter or coconut oil and salt. The refrigerator or freezer section of the supermarket is a great place to find this.
- Cheese: Shop for a cheese that’s made with simple ingredients such as milk, cream, salt, enzymes and active cultures.
- Eggs: Choose pasture-raised eggs (ideally certified organic).
- Shrimp: Avoid farm-raised shrimp. Shop for wild-caught shrimp instead.
Low-carb + gluten-free version
For an even healthier version, grease your pan with coconut oil and bake your quiche without the crust. We promise you, it’ll wow anyone who eats it!
Top tips for prepping ahead (on your food prep day or the night before)
Pre-chopping, cutting or cooking ingredients really helps to reduce stress and simplify dinner on busy weeknights.
- Chop your asparagus, mushrooms, onions and garlic (use jarred minced garlic in a pinch).
- Sautée or steam shrimp.
Ingredients you can swap in and out of the recipe
This quiche is a great family recipe because it can be customized to everyone’s liking. If you have a spouse who doesn’t like asparagus, replace the asparagus with spinach. If your kids prefer ham over shrimp, make the switch. Try to choose an ingredient with a similar consistency to the one you’re swapping. Outside of that, the sky is the limit!
- Goat cheese
- Tomatoes (One of the biggest causes of a soggy crust is the filling ingredients having excessive moisture. If you add tomatoes, chop and strain them. Otherwise, the moisture will turn your flaky pie crust into a soggy mess.)
This healthy quiche recipe is the perfect dish for entertaining. It can be made ahead and is flavorful whether you serve it warm or at room temperature.Print
A delightfully rich, yet healthy quiche recipe that is perfect for any meal, occasion or holiday! This little slice of cheesy heaven is ridiculously packed with flavor and a recipe that’s sure to make your monthly rotation.
- 1 unbaked whole-wheat or gluten-free pie crust
- 4 large eggs (beaten)
- 1 & 1/2 cups cottage cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon Allspice or nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon tarragon (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt and pepper, each
- 1 & 3/4 cups freshly grated cheddar cheese (or cheese of choice)
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch
- 1/2 pound sautéed or steamed shrimp, chopped into bite-size pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Press pie shell into a 9-inch pie plate. If you’re making homemade pie crust, see the instructions below.
- Clean and chop asparagus and onions (or whatever vegetables you choose).
- Sauté vegetables in extra virgin olive oil and garlic, approximately 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs. Brush a small amount of egg mixture in the pie shell. Add cottage cheese, nutmeg, basil, tarragon, salt and pepper to egg mixture. Mix to combine. (If you like spicy, add a little cayenne pepper.)
- In a separate bowl, combine cheddar cheese and arrowroot flour.
- Evenly spread sautéed vegetables and shrimp onto pie crust.
- Evenly layer cheese and arrowroot mixture on top of vegetables. Pour egg mixture on top.
- Bake on the middle rack for 40-50 minutes or until set. Insert a knife near the center of the pie. If the knife comes out clean, your pie is done. Allow quiche to set for 10 minutes before cutting into it. NOTE: The size of your pan will affect the cooking time. If you use a pie plate that is deeper or larger than a standard pie plate, you will need to adjust the bake time accordingly.
- In a 9-inch pie plate, combine all crust ingredients and mix them with a fork or your hands. If using a fork, use hands to finish mixing ingredients together.
- Form the dough into a ball in the pan. Press it into the pan evenly, bringing it up on the sides. Pinch the dough around the top of the pie plate with your finger or a fork.
- Serving Size: 8
Keywords: Quiche, Shrimp Asparagus Quiche