Simple Mashed Sweet Potatoes (+ How to Make Them Taste Savory or Sweet)
Mashed sweet potatoes are easy to make and a wonderful side dish that partners well with almost everything.
They are a staple in our home and we promise once you start serving them, they will be a permanent side in your home too. Best of all, this root vegetable is HEALTHY, offering a rich source of fiber, as well as containing a host of vitamins and minerals including iron, calcium, selenium, B vitamins and vitamin C.
Quick and easy
To make this recipe, we simply wash, dice and boil the sweet potatoes with the skin on until tender, approximately 20-25 minutes. Our secret to keeping this recipe quick and easy is removing the skins AFTER the sweet potatoes are cooked. The skins peel off without any effort similar to the way you would peel a banana.
Once the sweet potatoes are peeled, we transfer them to a large mixing bowl and mash with a potato masher or hand mixer.
Looking for ways to reduce time in the kitchen and simplify healthy eating, especially throughout the holidays or busy weeknights? You can prep this simple mash beforehand, refrigerate and warm just before serving.
Favorite toppings (savory & sweet)
We LOVE eating them plain, but everyone can enjoy flavoring this dish with their favorite toppings. We like to set them out on the table and let each person have fun combining flavors to their own personal liking. A few favorites for you to try:
- Grilled veggies (Brussels are a personal favorite) and goat cheese
- Black beans, diced tomatoes and avocado slices (or a dollop of Creamy Avocado Spread)
- Honey, cinnamon, nutmeg and butter
- Diced apple, feta and Easy Stovetop Candied Nuts
- A dollop of nut butter, cinnamon and sliced bananas (for a quick brekki)
If you’re entertaining
If you’re entertaining and really want to impress your guests, use martini glasses to serve your mashed sweet poatoes.
Some ways to “reinvent” your leftovers:
- Crunchy Sweet Potato Quesadillas: Instead of adding an abundance of cheese to your quesadilla, get creative and use your leftover mashed sweet potatoes as your base. Add your favorite roasted veggies and serve it with a vibrant side salad.
- Roasted Cauliflower and Sweet Potato Tacos: In a small tortilla, combine mashed sweet potatoes, roasted cauliflower, black beans, sliced avocado, pickled red onions, chopped fresh cilantro, hot sauce and whatever else you want to toss in there.
- Topped with scrambled eggs. We’ll serve anything with scrambled eggs. It’s literally one of the BEST ways to mix and match leftovers!
Share The Goodness
Treat Yourself to a Weekly Wellness Boost!
Unlock VIP access to self-care secrets, delightful surprises, and a dash of healthy food inspiration. Join us now and let the pampering begin!
"*" indicates required fields
You May Also Enjoy
Leave a Comment
Hi beautiFULL, We’re Pam and Kalie
If you want your family to live a healthier life, you’ve come to the right place! Our simple wellness practices have been handed down for three generations and are the secret weapon to staying healthy and sane.
GET YOUR FREE GUIDE
Real Food Crash Course
Learn how to cut out processed food in a realistic and manageable way.
Free Guide Food – Real Food Crash Course
"*" indicates required fields