Slow Cooker Pork and Kraut
- Total Time: 6 hrs 5 min
- Yield: 6 1x
This Slow Cooker Pork and Kraut recipe is comfort food at its finest and is an easy, no mess meal. The addition of apple and bay leaves creates an outstanding balance of flavors and aroma that will make you swoon with anticipation. Although it is traditionally served on New Year’s Day, don’t overlook this delicious recipe year-round.
- 1 & 1/2 pounds pork or pork loin roast
- 1 large apple
- 3 (1 pound) bags sauerkraut with liquid (cabbage, water, sea salt)
- 2 dried bay leaves
- Himalayan pink salt (to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
- Trim excess fat off of pork. If necessary, cut pork loin to fit in the slow cooker.
- Cut apple into cubes, disposing of the core.
- Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 5-6 hours. If you make a roast rather than pork chops, the internal temperature of the roast should be at least 145 degrees.
- Prep mashed potatoes (linked in notes below) or any other side dishes while pork is cooking. Enjoy!
- Depending on your mood and preferences, you can add a tablespoon of spicy brown or Dijon mustard, a can of your favorite beer or 1/2 cup of dry white wine. These all add some additional flavor. We typically take the more traditional route and keep our pork and sauerkraut to the basics, but there’s nothing wrong with getting a little creative.
We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.
Recommended side dishes:
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 6 hrs
- Category: Recipes
- Method: Slow Cooker, Too Easy
Keywords: Slow Cooker Pork, Kraut