Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas
- Total Time: 4 hrs, 15 min to 8 hr, 15 min
- Yield: 8 1x
These carnitas are made with all natural ingredients and taste alarmingly similar to authentic pork carnitas, without being submerged in a gallon of lard. The best part, it’s simple to make in the slow cooker and stores well in the fridge or freezer.
- 3 to 3 & 1/2 pounds pork butt (or shoulder)
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf (optional, but recommended)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano (or Mexican oregano)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Optional Topping (but highly recommended)
- avocado, sliced
- Mix dry ingredients (chili powder, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper) in a medium-large bowl.
- Place pork butt into the slow cooker and evenly sprinkle the seasoning onto the roast, sit bowl aside and rub seasoning in.
- Using the same bowl, add wet ingredients (OJ, chicken broth, lime and garlic). Stir, slowly pour over roast and add bay leaf to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours (or high heat 5-6 hours), until your meat easily falls apart.
- Just before serving, shred meat, drizzle more juices over it and serve hot. (See notes above for serving suggestions.)
- If crisping under the broiler: Turn broiler on high. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spoon shredded meat onto the baking sheet (don’t crowd). Drizzle a few spoonfuls of the broth over the meat. Place baking sheet on the top rack of the oven and broil for 7-10 minutes, until the juices evaporate and the meat is crispy and brown. Turn and sear other side until meat is crispy and brown.
- If crisping in a pan: Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Spread the pork in the pan and drizzle a few spoonfuls of the broth over the meat. Once the liquid evaporates and the bottom side is brown and crunchy, turn and sear other side. Repeat in batches and serve.
Always check for FfL-friendly ingredients.
We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 4-8 hrs
- Category: Recipes
- Method: Prep Now, Cook Later, Slow Cooker, Too Easy
Keywords: Pork Carnitas, Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas