Crispy bacon, juicy red tomatoes and crunchy bibb lettuce make this the ultimate summertime (or year-round) sandwich.
Whenever summer is in full swing, this sandwich makes a regular appearance at our house and after trying this recipe, it will at yours too!
The key to making this sandwich is using quality ingredients.
- Dry cured bacon (especially if you have a local butcher nearby) is a sure-fire way to take this sammy from good to great.
- When summer rolls around, there’s nothing better than ripe red tomatoes straight off the vine. And don’t forget about generously salting and peppering your tomatoes, it really amps up the flavor. Perfection in every bite!
- Because we generally don’t use mayo, this sensational sammy is slathered with a delicious, much healthier substitute – yogurt. Rest assured, you won’t notice a difference.
How to cook your bacon
It’s important to know that your bacon will continue to cook a tad and crisp up once it’s removed from the heat. Immediately place cooked bacon between paper towels and pat excess fat off.
In the oven
Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Place bacon slices on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, until bacon crisps around the edges. Remove from oven.
On the stovetop
Heat a large pan on low-medium heat. Add bacon to pan and cook low and slow. When bacon begins to buckle and curl, turn each slice and cook on the other side (about 2-4 minutes). Keep turning and cooking your bacon until it almost reaches your desired crispiness.
If your bacon is especially fatty, you may want to use a splatter screen to cut down on fatty grease splattering all over your stovetop (and possibly skin – OUCH!).
In the microwave
Place bacon between double layered paper towels. On a microwavable plate, cook bacon for 2-3 minutes. Remove from microwave, discard paper towels and repeat process with fresh paper towels for an additional 2-3 minutes (depending on the intensity of your microwave and how crunchy you like your bacon).Print
Crispy bacon, juicy red tomatoes and crunchy bibb lettuce make this BLT the ultimate summertime (or year-round) sandwich. It is mayo-free, easy to assemble and tastes absolutely wonderful!
- Cook the bacon in a large, deep skillet over medium heat (about 10 minutes) or between two paper towels in the microwave (about 4 minutes). Drain excess fat by pressing bacon slices between two fresh paper towels.
- Spread one side of bread with yogurt. Arrange the bacon, lettuce and tomato on top of yogurt. Generously sprinkle pepper on tomato and add salt to taste. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 1
Keywords: BLT Sandwich