With minimal prep, this one-pot turkey chili will easily be one of your go-to comfort meals.
This incredible, perfectly spiced chili is made with lean ground turkey, kidney beans and corn. It’s guilt and gluten-free, making it the perfect meal on a chilly night. We love to serve this dish with Pumpkin Cornbread Muffins. Listed at the bottom are quick and easy ways to recreate your leftovers!
As soon as it gets chilly outside, the slow cooker has a permanent place on our countertop. If you’re a slow cooker fan like we are, you’ll love this recipe. No slow cooker, no problem! This meal can also be made on the stovetop.
How to shop for the best ingredients:
- Choose 100% cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil
- Look for meat that’s 100% grass-fed and pasture-raised.
- Choose chicken broth that’s made with limited, recognizable ingredients (or freeze leftover stock next time you boil chicken).
- We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.
Top tips for prepping ahead: (on your food prep day or the night before)
Pre-chopping, cutting or cooking ingredients really helps to reduce stress and simplify dinner on busy weeknights.
- Chop your onion, peppers and jalapeño
- Brown your meat (if preparing in a slow cooker)
Last night, we made chili and had enough leftover to feed an army. So we don’t get sick of it, we do two things:
- We freeze half of it in a huge mason jar for dinner down the road. Leave a 2-inch clearance between the top of the jar and the chili. Frozen liquid expands, so don’t overfill it or the jar will crack. Trust us, we know from experience… EEK!
- We also recreate our leftovers so that our family doesn’t get sick of the same old thing. Tonight, we’ll be adding a little curry and cheese to make stuffed peppers with our leftover chili.
How to “reinvent” your leftover chili:
In next to no time, you can whip up a different, yet delicious meal.
- In a breakfast burrito
- As a side to scrambled eggs
- On a bed of greens topped with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese
- Layered in an enchilada casserole
- Chili Stuffed Peppers: A great way to put a spin on leftovers from this meal is by adding a little curry, some whole grain rice and stuffing a pepper. Cut off the top of a bell pepper, remove seeds, stuff pepper half full with chili, layer a small amount of cheese and fill remaining space with chili. Top stuffed pepper with a small amount of cheese. Place in baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until pepper softens and center is warm.
- Layered in a taco dip (Greek yogurt, salsa, shredded lettuce and cheese)
- With homemade tortilla chips for dipping
With minimal prep, this one-pot turkey chili will easily be one of your go-to comfort meals. This incredible, perfectly spiced chili is made with lean ground turkey, kidney beans and corn. It’s guilt and gluten-free, making it the perfect meal on a chilly night.
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium – large onion, chopped (approximately 2 cups)
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 1 pound ground turkey breast (can substitute with lean ground beef)
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes, fire roasted
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 (15 oz) cans dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup corn, frozen
- 1 jalapeño, finely chopped (optional)
- If you make this recipe in a slow cooker, reduce the chicken broth to 1/2 cup. Brown the turkey before adding to the slow cooker. Add remaining main ingredients, herbs and spices to slow cooker. Mix to combine. Cover and cook 8 hours on low or 4 hours on medium-high. Garnish, serve and enjoy. This makes a simple and delicious tailgating or football party recipe!
- Heat EVOO in a large pot. Using medium heat, sauté onion and peppers for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add ground turkey and break up the meat; cook until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Add chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper and garlic powder. Stir. Add tomatoes, chicken broth, kidney beans and corn. Stir.
- Feel free to taste test and add more spices to your liking. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer chili mixture for 30-45 minutes, stirring every few minutes until chili thickens and flavors come together. Garnish, serve and enjoy!
Optional Additions: 1 tablespoon of minced garlic, 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce and 2 teaspoons of dried oregano. When we have these ingredients on hand, we add them.
We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.
- Serving Size: 6
Keywords: Turkey Chili, One Pot