Whole-Wheat Rosemary Focaccia Bread
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 12 slices 1x
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (heated in the microwave for 60 seconds)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 & 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/4 cup PLUS 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, coarsely chopped
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm/hot water. Immediately add honey to water, stir and set aside for 10 minutes until yeast begins to froth.
- While yeast is dissolving, add flour to a stand mixer with a dough hook or bread attachment (you can also use a large mixing bowl and hand mix the dough, but a stand mixer is recommended).
- After yeast has dissolved in water, add yeast water to flour along with salt, and ¼ cup olive oil. Mix on low speed until the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl (no longer extremely sticky).
- Remove dough from the bowl and knead by hand on a floured surface for 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer dough back into bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap (or a towel) and set in a warm, dry, non-drafty place. (If your oven has a “warm” setting, we’ve found it allows the dough to rise best.) Allow dough to rise for 1 hour, dough ball should double in size.
- Transfer dough into a greased 8×8 baking pan. To spread dough, rip off pieces and lightly press them into the pan until there is one even layer. With your fingers or the end of a wooden spoon, dimple dough approximately 1/2 inch apart. Evenly spread remaining 2 Tbsp. of olive oil and minced garlic over dough. Sprinkle rosemary onto bread. Optional: Season with additional salt, to taste.
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow dough to rise for an additional 20-30 minutes. You can set the pan on a warm surface to help aid in the rising process.
- At this point you can refrigerate dough if you’ve prepped it in advance or you can bake it.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake bread until golden brown, about 20-23 minutes.
- Remove from oven and grate desired amount of Parmesan cheese over bread. Allow bread to cool slightly before slicing and serving.
We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.
Always check for FfL-friendly ingredients.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: Recipes
Keywords: Rosemary Focaccia Bread