How often do you look at a recipe and talk yourself out of ever trying it?
- that is too time consuming to make
- there are too many ingredients
- I don’t like some of the ingredients it calls for
... and that DELICIOUS whole-food recipe gets tossed in the waste can!
I want to encourage you to step back and rethink the way you look at recipes!
In our house, each meal is created around things our family loves. I’m always looking for new and exciting ways to serve up a healthy meal, so when a friend gave us a recipe for a Sweet Potato Crusted Quiche, I knew I had to try it.
The only problem was, the recipe was time consuming and there were quite a few ingredients listed that my family doesn't particularly care for. So I did what I often do – I switched things up and created a version that would shorten prep time and please our family's flavor preferences!
When I first started modifying recipes, I was a bit nervous. But, I'm here to tell you it's easier than you think! To help give you some ideas of how you can put your own twist on recipes, I wanted to share some of my ideas with you!
Here are the changeups I made:
- Peeled sweet potatoes – To save on time, I left the skins on the potatoes.
- Freshly chopped garlic cloves – I often use minced garlic from a jar when I'm tight on time.
Too many ingredients:
- 1/4 cup chopped broccoli AND 1/4 cup chopped onions – To minimize ingredients, I doubled up the onions and eliminated the broccoli. Since I used 1/2 cup veggies total, it didn't alter consistency.
Our family doesn't like some of the ingredients it calls for:
- 4 cups of fresh spinach – My family likes spinach but doesn’t love it, so I used 2 cups.
- Sun-dried tomatoes – My son doesn’t particularly care for the strong flavor of sun-dried tomatoes but he loves spice, so I swapped out the tomatoes for some peppers.
- Goat cheese – My husband isn't wild about goat cheese, so I substituted sharp white cheddar.
Sneaky additions to boost nutrients:
- I sneak Chia seeds in everything, so I added them for the health benefit.
Another reason I'm sharing this with you:
Both Kalie and I are extremely passionate about eating healthy and helping you do the same. We spend a lot of time creating recipes and meal ideas for you and your family to enjoy. We understand you're busy or you may not like all the ingredients we do. If there are simple swaps you can make, try them out! If we list a few ingredients you don’t like, substitute them with something you do like. IT’S THAT SIMPLE!!
Side note: If you make modifications to any of our recipes, we'd love for you to share them for everyone to enjoy! Just jot them down in the comment section of the recipe.
Be creative, enjoy and let us help you gain confidence in the kitchen!
And now... for the delicious Quiche with Sweet Potato Crust!
Some other sweet potato inspired recipes you may enjoy:
- Root Vegetable Swirled Sweet Potato Mash
- Cinnamon Sweet Potato Bites with a Kick
- Crispy Baked Sweet Potato Steak Fries with Secret Sauce
- Crispy Garlic Sweet Potato Fries with Creamy Avocado Aioli
- Healthy Baked Sweet Potato Home Fries
- Sweet Potato and Kale Hash