Nutrition: Our focus this week is on dressings, toppings and condiments.
Food for Thought:
- Do you check the ingredients in your dressings, condiments and toppings before buying them? (This includes salad dressings.)
- When adding toppings or using a condiment, do you consider the amount of sugar or fat it contains?
You can drastically increase your fat, sugar and calorie intake if you don’t choose toppings and condiments wisely and watch your portions.
True statement! Condiments alone can be an absolute calorie killer, not to mention many of them are made with all kinds of ingredients you've never heard of!
Some of the “No-No’s”: What should you steer clear of when it comes to toppings and condiments?
- Avoid items that are highly processed.
- Avoid items containing hydrogenated oils or trans fats.
- Avoid items containing artificial ingredients, sweeteners, coloring and dyes.
- Avoid items with a long list of unfamiliar ingredients.
- Avoid pre-made dips and spreads, especially creamy ones.
Over the next week, become more aware of the dressings, sauces, toppings and condiments you use.
- Check the ingredients in some of the condiments in your kitchen and evaluate if they are "good for you" or just "good." Consider replacing the imposters!
- Watch your portions when using them. Remember, condiments can be a calorie killer!
If you love the idea of bettering your health through your diet but aren't quite sure where to start or how to replace the imposters with downright delicious, real food, check out the FULLforLife Food Guide. You'll successfully make the switch in no time!
Today you will complete your fourth Reps Challenge. Your goal is to surpass the numbers you recorded during your previous challenges. Always do what you can. Push yourself to do your personal best – whatever that may be.
- Hold a Forearm Plank as long as you can without compromising your form. Write down how many seconds you held the Forearm Plank and if it was modified. (Remember to contract your core and keep your head, shoulders, back and legs in a straight line.)
- Hold a Wall Sit as long as you can without compromising your form. Write down how many seconds you held the Wall Sit. (Remember to keep your shoulders and lower back pressed against the wall. Your knees should stay behind your toes. If they extend out further, you will need to take another step away from the wall.)
- Write down how many Push Ups you can successfully complete in 30 seconds without compromising your form. Include if they were Wall Push Ups, Knee Push Ups or Standard Push Ups. (Do not allow your butt to stick up in the air or your belly to slump to the floor. Keep your eyes straight ahead. Contract your glutes and core.)
In conjunction with your Reps Challenge, record the following:
- How often do you wake up feeling tired, drowsy and with no energy?
- Has this improved at all since last week?
- Has this improved at all since Day 1 of the 28-Day Challenge?
- How much natural, unprocessed food is in your daily diet?
- I eat real, unprocessed foods numerous times throughout the day.
- I eat real, unprocessed foods numerous times throughout the week.
- I rarely eat real, unprocessed foods. My diet mostly consists of pre-packaged, processed foods.
- My diet consists entirely of highly processed foods.
- Record your weight.
If you struggle with fatigue or eat processed foods, consider switching to a more natural, unprocessed diet. If you're not sure where to start, FULLforLife's Food Guide makes the transition simple and fun.