In today’s 24/7 go-go-go world, it can be difficult to find the time to exercise.
Can you relate?
So that exercising doesn’t feel like an unrealistic task, here are a few practical, yet science-backed ways, you can burn calories, even while you’re sitting down. We call these easy, effective exercises “multitasking moves.”
These small but mighty movements are designed for our busy lives and can easily be added into the day – a minute here and a minute there. These are ALL great ways to burn calories, kickstart your metabolism and tone – anytime.
Our 7 favorite multitasking moves for your body and brain
Being active burns calories. Thankfully, our muscles don’t discriminate, whether we’re burning calories in a fancy fitness studio or while sitting at our desk fidgeting. Give it a try!
- Calf muscles: Do Calf Raises or a Static Squat with Calf Raises for 2-minutes while brushing your teeth. Hold each calf raise for a 3-second count.
- Arms: Keep a pair of 3-pound or 5-pound dumbbells at your desk and burn calories while on a conference call, between meetings or when you’re in need of a quick break from the mental monotony. Check out the five moves you can try, below.
- Booty work: Do reverse leg lifts while you’re standing around (possibly waiting on your kids!) to keep your booty toned and your thighs lean. Always remember to squeeze your buttocks!
- Core: Do Standing Crunches and Oblique Standing Side Bends for your waistline. They work the muscles of your entire torso. If you’re sitting in your office chair, do seated leg lifts while keeping your core contracted.
- Lower body and core: Anytime you walk up a set of stairs, skip a step. You’ll lift your booty, tone your tummy and target all of those lower body trouble spots. Remember to “breathe and squeeze”™!
- Upper and lower body: Use resistance bands for arm and leg workouts. Kalie keeps a band in her kitchen drawer and gets in a few moves each night while cooking.
- Total body: Breathe and squeeze. While you’re in the car, standing in line or sitting at your desk, “breathe and squeeze™”. Exhale, relax your ab muscles and buttocks, then inhale deeply, pull in your ab muscles, squeeze your booty and lift your pelvic floor, tighten and hold for 5 seconds. Slowly exhale, release and relax. Do this 10-20x to strengthen your core, pelvic floor and glutes. No joke, isometric moves like these really work!
We challenge you to do one of these multitasking moves each day this week!