3-Ingredient Blueberry Jam (Low-Calorie Compote)
When life gives you blueberries, make blueberry compote! This is a great way to make compote because it’s simple, lower in sugar than most jellies and jams, and lets the flavor of the blueberries shine. The best part? All the ingredients are NATURAL! We often use it to top our toast, waffles, pancakes or, in my personal favorite, PB and J’s. (You’re never too old to be a kid again.) Get creative! It’s even a delicious way to add some serious flavor to plain yogurt, ice cream, homemade cheesecake or… the list goes on and on!
- 3 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup water (enough to fill the bottom 1/4 inch of the pot)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- In a medium saucepan, add blueberries, lemon juice and enough water to cover 1/4 inch of pot.
- Allow blueberries to simmer on medium heat for 3-5 minutes; add honey. Continue simmering blueberries, stirring frequently and mashing the blueberries with a fork or the back of a spoon as they cook down.
- Continue to simmer, mash and cook down blueberries until almost all of the water has evaporated (approximately 20-30 minutes). The more the water evaporates, the more frequently you will need to stir. When blueberries are completely mashed and have reached a syrupy consistency, remove from heat.
- Serve immediately or place in a glass jar, allow to cool completely (about 2-3 hours) and store in the fridge for later use!
We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.
- Category: Recipes
- Method: One Pot, Too Easy