Homemade Granola Bars
- Yield: 8 1x
These energy bars are great for an on-the-go snack or breakfast. They’re easy to bake, simple to store and a delicious addition to your diet!
- 2 & 3/4 cups dates
- 1 cup almond
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup roasted cashews
- 1 & 1/2 cups oats
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
Optional: Choose One
- 1/4 cup raisins, currants or dried cranberries (unsweetened, no oil added)
- 1/4 cup chocolate
- Place dates in a bowl and cover with water. Allow them to sit in the water for 2-8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a medium to large baking dish with coconut oil.
- Remove dates from water and set water aside. Remove pits from dates. (We typically slice the date in half, similar to cutting an avocado, and remove the pit).
- Add dates to food processor. Pulse for 30-45 seconds. Add almonds to food processor and pulse until the almonds are chopped into crumbs. Scoop the mixture off the bottom and sides of the food processor to chop evenly. Add sunflower seeds and cashews to food processor and pulse until the nuts are chopped into crumbs and the mixture becomes a paste.
- Remove date and nut mixture from food processor and place in a large bowl.
- Individually add and mix remaining ingredients into the bowl. Mix ingredients thoroughly with your hands. If the mixture seems too runny, add more oats. If the mixture seems too dry, add leftover water that the dates soaked in.
- Spread and tightly pack the mixture into the dish. The key is tightly packing it, otherwise your bars will fall apart. If the mixture does not extend to the perimeter of the dish, use your hands to tightly pack the mixture and form an edge.
- Bake uncovered for 23 minutes.
- Allow dish to cool completely before cutting bars. Cut into individual portions. Wrap bars individually in parchment paper or lay parchment paper between layers of bars in airtight container. Bars will keep longer if you store in the fridge or freezer. Enjoy!
On the Run:
- Wrap individual bars with parchment paper and tie them with string for easy portability.
- Category: Recipes