Sweet Apple Pie (No Refined Sugar)
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
Pie Crust: Store bought or use our homemade recipe
- 2 & 1/4 cups whole wheat or oat flour
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat or oat flour (for rolling out dough)
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter (chilled)
- 1/2 cup ice water
- In a food processor, add the flour and salt. Pulse until mixed together. If you don’t have a food processor, follow directions and generously mix by hand.
- Slice cold butter into small chunks and spread evenly into flour mixture so it doesn’t clump. If making by hand, mash butter into flour with a fork. Blend until the mixture is a crumbly texture.
- Gradually add cold water (without ice cubes) to the mixture until you get to the right consistency. This is usually around 1/2 cup but may be slightly more or less. You don’t want your dough to be too dry or too wet. The dough will form a ball.
- Once thoroughly mixed, remove dough ball and any excess dough stuck to the sides. Separate dough into two equal-sized pieces. Lightly sprinkle tablespoon of flour over the area where you’ll be rolling out your dough and onto rolling pin. Roll out both sections of the dough with a rolling pin.
- After flattening dough into a circular shape, transfer to the bottom of your pie plate and press into place. Make sure not to tear holes in crust as you press into place. Stretch crust just over the edge of the pie plate and trim excess dough from edges.
- Roll out the second dough ball and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. If you aren’t using homemade pie crust, press one crust into pie plate.
- This step is key: Core and THINLY slice your apples, placing the slices in a large bowl.
- Gradually add flour into bowl and work into apples until they’re evenly coated. Add honey and vanilla, mix by hand. To taste, gradually sprinkle cinnamon over apples and mix. Repeat with nutmeg, about 1/8 teaspoon depending on your preference.
- Once evenly coated, pour apple mixture into crust and spread. Place remaining crust on top. Pinch the edges together with your fingers or for a beautiful finish, use a fork. Trim excess crust. In the center of the pie, slice four 1-inch slits toward each corner of the room for ventilation.
- Mix egg and milk in a small bowl. Brush just enough egg-wash onto pie crust to lightly coat it.
- Place pie on bottom rack in oven, bake uncovered for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and allow pie filling to set for at least 15 minutes before serving. In order to achieve tidy slices, pie needs time to set. For best results, allow pie to cool for at least 4 hours or overnight. Enjoy!
Dairy-free: To make this pie dairy-free, substitute homemade pie crust with a dairy-free crust.
Gluten-free: To make this pie gluten-free, substitute homemade pie crust with a gluten-free crust.
We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.
- Prep Time: 35 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Category: Recipes
- Method: Prep Now, Cook Later, Too Easy
Keywords: Apple Pie, Sweet Apple Pie