Egg Foo Young Casserole (Better than Takeout)
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
This Egg Foo Young Casserole is the perfect, easy recipe to enjoy all the flavors of Chinese takeout but with healthier, whole food ingredients — no deep frying required! Add almost any vegetable or protein to customize this versatile dish and make it a personal favorite.
- 10 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk or almond milk
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 5 ounces shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup matchstick carrots
- 1 (8 oz.) can diced water chestnuts
- 1 & 1/2 cups cooked protein (chicken) (see list of ideas above)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- scallions, to garnish (optional)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 & 1/2 tablespoons Bragg’s liquid aminos (gluten-free) or soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch
- 2 teaspoons coconut palm sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease the inside of an 8×8 baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, cottage cheese and milk. Beat eggs until light and fluffy (an immersion blender works great!). Add remaining casserole ingredients (except scallions); gently stir to combine. Add prepared egg mixture to baking pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 35 minutes, until fluffy and set in the middle.
- For the sauce: While your casserole is cooking, put all the sauce ingredients in a small pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 3-5 minutes, stirring every minute or so, until your sauce thickens into a gravy. Remove your sauce from the heat and set aside.
- Slice casserole into squares. Plate and pour warm sauce over Egg Foo Young. Top with scallions (optional) and enjoy!
- You can store your leftovers in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days
Vegetarian option: To make this meal vegetarian, omit the meat and substitute chicken broth with vegetable broth.
Always check for FfL-friendly ingredients.
We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Category: Recipes
- Method: Prep Now, Cook Later, One Pot, 30 Minute Meals
Keywords: Egg Foo Young Casserole, Egg Foo Young