Egg Roll in a Bowl (Better than Takeout)
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
This quick and easy dish takes dinner to a whole new level. It’s made with ground turkey shredded vegetables and Asian sauce (hello, healthy!). It cooks in just one pan and is the perfect meal for busy weeknights. Thanks to the convenience of cole-slaw mix, you can really save on time and clean-up. You can serve it as is, with a side of brown rice or cauliflower rice for a truly satisfying meal.
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
- 1 pound ground turkey breast or lean ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped (about a cup)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (1 lb.) bag finely shredded cabbage/coleslaw mix
- 3 tablespoons Bragg’s liquid aminos
- 2 teaspoons powdered ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cup prepared whole grain rice (can substitute greens or cauliflower rice)
Sesame aioli: (optional but recommended)
- In a small bowl, whisk together sesame aioli ingredients until smooth. Refrigerate until you’re ready to use it. If you’re not a fan of heat, gradually add hot sauce until it reaches desired flavor.
- Heat a large skiller over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon sesame oil, onion and garlic to pan. Sauté for a minute. Add ground turkey breast or protein of choice). Use wooden spoon to break up the meat as it cooks. Cook until ground turkey is no longer pink (about 5-7 minutes). Drain extra liquid, if necessary.
- Add slaw mix, liquid aminos, ginger, crushed red pepper flakes, black pepper and remaining 1 tablespoon of sesame oil. Sauté until slaw just begins to wilt and become tender (about 6-8 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Serve in bowls as is, or on top of prepared rice. Drizzle sesame aioli on top. Enjoy!
Healthy tip: Look for 100% whole grain rice rather than highly refined white rice. Whole grain rice provides essential nutrients that its ultra-processed counterpart doesn’t offer.
Always check for FfL-friendly ingredients.
We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Category: Recipes
- Method: One Pot, Too Easy, 30 Minute Meals
Keywords: Egg Roll, Egg Roll in a Bowl