Healthy Blueberry Coconut Bars (Hidden Veggie + Gluten-Free)
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 12 bars 1x
2 free-range eggs (beaten)
1/4 cup honey
1/3 cup coconut oil (plus some for greasing pan)
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 & 1/2 cups oats
1 & 1/4 oat flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups blueberries
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons chia seeds
3/4 cup beet puree (instructions above)
Coconut topping: (optional but recommended)
1 & 1/4 cups unsweetened coconut flakes, shredded
1 free-range egg white, yolk removed
2 tablespoons honey
- Lightly grease an 8×8 baking pan. Make the base by mixing all of the base ingredients together until well combined. Press firmly into the baking pan to form an even layer (we use the back of a wet spoon). Sit aside and preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- While oven is preheating, in a medium saucepan add blueberries, lemon juice and enough water to cover 1/4 inch of pot. Allow blueberries to simmer on medium heat for 3-5 minutes; add honey. Continue simmering blueberries, stirring frequently and mashing the blueberries with a fork or the back of a spoon as they cook down. Continue to simmer, mash and cook down blueberries until almost all of the water has evaporated (approximately 20-30 minutes). The more the water evaporates, the more frequently you will need to stir. When blueberries are completely mashed and have reached a syrupy consistency, remove from heat. Stir in chia seeds and beet puree.
- While blueberries are simmering, bake base until lightly browned at the edges but not fully baked, about 15 minutes. Remove base from the oven.
- Spread blueberry mixture over the partially baked layer. If the blueberry compote and the base aren’t done at the exact same time, that’s okay. Set aside until the other is ready. Both hold well so there’s no need to stress!
- For the coconut topping, whisk together the egg and honey. Mix in the shredded coconut. Spread the coconut mixture over the blueberry layer.
- Bake until topping is slightly browned, about 10 minutes. Set pan on a cooling rack and allow to cool before cutting into 12 bars. This allows the blueberry compote to set and the beet flavor to subside. Enjoy warm or (our personal favorite) serve for breakfast the following morning chilled.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.
If you’re a huge fan of coconut, you can increase the coconut flakes from 1 & 1/4 cups to 1 & 1/2 or 2 cups. We’ve tried it both ways, depending on who we’re serving it to.
Use gluten-free ingredients, if necessary.
We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.
Always check for FfL-friendly ingredients.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Category: Recipes
- Method: Prep Now, Cook Laterb
Keywords: Blueberry Coconut Bars, Hidden Veggie