How to Make Perfect Poached Eggs (Stovetop + Traditional Method)
- Total Time: 8 to 10 min
- Yield: 1 1x
- 2 eggs
- 2–3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 pinch Himalayan pink salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- Crack eggs, one at a time, into a bowl or custard cup, being careful to not break the yolk.
- Bring a pot of 2-3 inches of water to a gentle simmer. Add vinegar and swirl the water with a large spoon.
- Holding the dish close to the water, gently slide the eggs into the water. (This keeps the egg whites from spreading.) If you prefer, you can crack the egg in a small cup and slip it into the water that way.
- While the eggs are cooking, lift them with a slotted spoon so they are toward the top of the water rather than sitting on the bottom of the pot. Cook for 3-5 minutes, until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken.
- Remove eggs from pot with a slotted spoon and drain. Place in a bowl, add a little salt and pepper and enjoy!
Whenever possible, use fresh eggs from chickens free of growth hormones.
We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.
We recommend pasture-raised/free-range eggs and organic ingredients when feasible. If you want to become a rock star at understanding the egg aisle, HERE’S a breakdown of egg labels and what to look for.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 3 to 5 min
- Category: Recipes
- Method: One Pot