Meatless Moussaka (Eggplant and Tomato Casserole)
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 2–3 eggplants, sliced into rounds
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 (14 oz.) cans cherry tomatoes (can substitute with a jar of thick and chunky tomato sauce)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Italian herb blend
- 3 tablespoons self-rising flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup Parmesan or mozzarella cheese
- 1 slice day old whole grain bread (you can use bread crumbs or toasted bread instead of day old)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lay the eggplant slices on two roasting trays and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of EVOO. Roast for 20 minutes, until golden and soft.
- While eggplant is roasting, add cherry tomatoes, 1 tablespoon of EVOO, minced garlic and Italian herbs to a medium-large saucepan. As tomatoes begin to break down from the heat, mash with a fork. (Side note: If using a jar of tomato sauce, simply mix sauce with garlic and Italian herbs.)
- Once tomatoes break down into a sauce, remove from stovetop.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of EVOO in a large saucepan. Gently add the flour and stir with a whisk. Slowly add milk to create a sauce and continue to whisk. When sauce thickens, add salt and pepper to taste and 3/4 cup of cheese.
- Once the eggplant slices are golden and soft, remove from oven.
- In a baking dish, layer half the eggplant and half the tomato sauce. Repeat, creating a second layer with remaining eggplant and tomato sauce. Top with the cheesy béchamel sauce and sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup of cheese on top. Crumble the slice of bread with your fingers and scatter over the top.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until puffed and golden. Serve with salad and enjoy!
We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.
Always check for FfL-friendly ingredients.
Use gluten-free bread if necessary.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: Recipes
Keywords: Meatless Moussaka, Moussaka, Eggplant and Tomato Casserole