A delicious dinner can be as simple as turning some healthy ingredients into a palate-pleasing homemade pizza.
Pumpkin, maple syrup, ricotta, cinnamon, pepitas and pecorino cheese flavor this delightful, well-seasoned pizza. It’s fast enough for weeknights yet tasty enough for company.
Erich and I absolutely love to travel and when we do, we make it our mission to find the local’s best kept secret restaurants. Last time we were in Hawaii, we went to a little joint that was recommended to us and ordered a pumpkin ricotta pizza.
Now if you come over to our house on a regular basis, you know we LOVE pizza. When we read the description of this particular pizza on the menu, we were too intrigued not to try it. What we found was this crazy pizza concoction was off the wall delicious! Before we even left the restaurant, we decided to try to replicate it as soon as we got home from Hawaii.
While this version tastes a tad different, we are equally as pleased with the outcome. I mean, who doesn’t love a snazzy pizza?Print
- 1 pound prepared pizza dough, room temperature
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree (NOT canned pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup ricotta
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chives
- 2 tablespoons pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1/2 cup pecorino cheese (can substitute with Parmesan cheese)
- drizzle balsamic vinegar
- Add olive oil to a medium-large non-stick pan over warm to medium heat. Add mushrooms, salt and pepper. Cook mushrooms for 4-6 minutes, until slightly tender. Remove mushrooms from heat.
- Preheat oven to temperature suggested on dough’s instructions.
- In medium bowl, combine pumpkin, maple syrup, ricotta, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix together and set aside.
- Roll dough into a 14-inch wide oval on a floured surface. Transfer dough to a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- Leaving a 1-inch border around the edge, spread ricotta mixture on dough. On top of ricotta mixture, evenly spread roasted mushrooms. Top mushrooms with pepitas and pecornino cheese.
- Bake pizza in the oven on the middle rack for the time suggested on dough ball’s instructions. (Until dough begins to turn golden brown).
- Remove from oven. Allow pizza to cool for 2-3 minutes. Top pizza with balsamic, cut and serve!
We tried making this recipe originally with double the pecorino cheese. We found that using that much pecorino cheese overpowered the pumpkin and ricotta flavor. Even if you’re a cheese lover, we wouldn’t recommend increasing the pecorino. We promise you, the ricotta mixture is enough to satisfy your cheesy taste buds and tummy!
Bake in the oven or grill to perfection.
Always check for FfL-friendly ingredients.
We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.