Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
This change-of-pace main dish is a tried-and-true favorite in our home. This recipe is a fun and different way to enjoy fresh zucchini. These Stuffed Zucchini Boats are filled with a hearty sausage mixture, topped with cheese and baked to perfection. The great thing about this recipe is it allows you to feed your entire family (especially your kiddos) veggies, without any complaints. It’s an easy, low carb meal everyone will enjoy. Even folks who aren’t fond of zucchini are guaranteed to love it!
- 4 medium zucchini, sliced lengthwise
- 16 ounces (4 cups) sweet or hot ground Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 small chopped onion
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can Italian style diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup panko OR whole-grain bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- 2 pinches Himalayan pink salt
- 2 pinches pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash and slice zucchini lengthwise and hollow them out with a spoon. If the flesh is difficult to scoop out, microwave the zucchini halves until slightly softened. Chop the zucchini you removed into small cubes and set aside. Place the zucchini skin in a 9×13 casserole dish.
- In a pan over medium heat, add the olive oil and sausage. Cook for 3-5 minutes, until meat is partially cooked. Add the garlic, onion, tomatoes, chopped zucchini and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, add the parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, bread crumbs and parsley. Mix well.
- Spoon the sausage mixture into the hollowed out zucchini boats and place the cheese mixture over top.
- Place in the oven and bake until golden brown, approximately 20 minutes.
Gluten-free: Use gluten-free bread crumbs if necessary.
Paleo/ Vegan-friendly: Eliminate the cheese.
Always check for FfL-friendly ingredients.
We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Category: Recipes
- Method: Prep Now, Cook Later
Keywords: Stuffed Zucchini Boats, Zucchini Boats