When it comes to comfort, this simple stovetop or slow cooker Vegetable Beef Soup is it.
This delicious soup is hearty and will satisfy the entire family. Serve it alone or paired with a side salad and fresh bread to warm your spirit and your tummy.
It’s a true classic that takes me back to my childhood and the smell of meat and potatoes in my grandmother’s kitchen. Her secret ingredient? She used tomato juice for some added flavor. To this day our family does the same and, after this recipe, yours surely will too!
Using frozen veggies in this soup really cuts back on prep and cooking time. We like to use Birds Eye Normandy Blend Vegetables. Because this recipe is easily adaptable, you can use any veggies you desire.
If you prefer not to use a frozen medley of vegetables, you can use 4-5 cups of fresh chopped veggies (adjust cook time to reflect the heartiness of whatever veggies you add). Consider:
- carrots (1 & 1/2 cups)
- green beans (1 & 1/2 cups)
- celery (1/2 cup)
- frozen corn (1/2 cup)
- frozen peas (1/2 cup)
You can substitute the beef cubes with ground turkey or ground beef OR eliminate the meat entirely for a delicious meatless version of this classic soup.
Pre-chopping, cutting or cooking ingredients really helps to reduce stress and simplify dinner on busy weeknights. We know, we know, we’re always talking about meal prep, but it truly is the holy grail to healthy eating!
- Cube beef, chop onion, garlic (if you’re using fresh), and potatoes on your food prep day or the night before
It’s the perfect comfort dish recipe to freeze in serving-sized portions and thaw to reheat later (if there’s any leftover).
Some quick tips:
- Use a large thick-bottomed pot so that your stew cooks more evenly. This helps prevent your soup from scorching onto the bottom of your pot.
- If you really want to amp up flavor, try marinating your meat in dry red wine with 3 bay leaves and a teaspoon of minced garlic overnight.
- If you enjoy your soup with a lot of broth, gradually add water, vegetable or beef stock until your soup reaches the perfect consistency.
- To prepare in a slow cooker, brown meat as described. Add all ingredients to slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.