Vegetable Beef Soup
- Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
When it comes to comfort, this simple stovetop or slow cooker Vegetable Beef Soup is it. This delicious soup is hearty, filled with your choice of frozen or fresh vegetables and guaranteed to satisfy the entire family. Serve it alone or paired with a side salad and fresh bread to warm your spirit and your tummy. You can substitute the beef cubes with ground turkey or ground beef OR eliminate the meat entirely for a delicious meatless version of this classic soup.
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cubed (shank or chuck)
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (32 oz.) bottle 100% tomato juice
- 1 (14 oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 cups russet potato, chopped into 1/2” cubes
- 2 (16 oz.) bags frozen mixed soup vegetables
- In a large stock pot, heat EVOO. Add bite-sized beef cubes, salt, and pepper. Brown 4-5 minutes and drain any excess fat. Add onion and garlic; sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add tomato juice, diced tomatoes, beef broth, bay leaf, and Italian seasoning into the pot. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add potatoes then continue to simmer, covered, 20 minutes.
- Add mixed vegetables to pot. Simmer for an additional 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally until all of the veggies and beef are tender. Discard bay leaves.
- Serve and season with freshly ground black pepper, red pepper flakes, or hot sauce if desired. Enjoy!
Lakewood makes a tasty organic tomato juice that’s made with 100% cold-pressed juice, not from concentrate. Whenever we can find it, this is the brand we prefer to use.
Always check for FfL-friendly ingredients
We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 70 min
- Category: Recipes
- Method: One Pot, Slow Cooker
Keywords: Vegetable Beef Soup, Vegetable Soup