This luscious fall treat is the perfect way to enjoy the flavor of pumpkin pie without an overload of calories.
Of all the Thanksgiving must-have’s, pumpkin pie ranks right at the top for our family. We can’t think of a year when there hasn’t been at least one pumpkin pie on the table. Last year we had guests who ate gluten-free, so we decided to put a twist on the traditional by creating a custard with the same old-fashioned pumpkin pie flavor.
This creamy custard has a smooth texture and gently spiced pumpkin flavor, which make it the perfect dessert (or breakfast) on cool fall days. Unlike many pumpkin pies and custards, this one skips all the highly-processed ingredients and can be served warm or cold. Our favorite way to serve it is chilled with a small dollop of homemade whipped cream and candied or chopped pecans on top to give it a little added crunch.
This pumpkin custard is extremely easy to make (and make a day ahead), for stress-free holiday entertaining.
How should I store my custard?
Store your custard covered in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- You can make it dairy free and vegan by using almond milk and a flax seed egg.
- If you really want pie you can try baking this custard in a crust.
This luscious fall treat is the perfect way to enjoy the flavor of pumpkin pie without highly processed ingredients or an overload of calories. This creamy custard has a smooth texture and gently spiced pumpkin flavor, which makes it the perfect dessert (or breakfast) on cool fall days. Serve it with a dollop of whipped cream or candied nuts for an incredibly flavorful dessert.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease pie pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg. Add remaining wet ingredients, whisk. One by one, add dry ingredients to wet mixture, stir until thoroughly combined and no pockets of dry ingredients remain.
- Pour custard into prepared pie dish (8-9 inches in diameter) and bake on middle rack for 35 minutes, until top is slightly browned and just set (the center will still be slightly wobbly). Remove from oven and allow custard to cool completely. Refrigerate for 4-6 hours before serving. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 6