Double Chocolate Banana Muffins (Guilt-Free)
- Total Time: 47 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
Who doesn’t love muffins, especially when making them a teensy bit healthier is so easy to do? These extraordinary muffins are a baked breakfast that doubles as a delectable dessert. You can eat them fresh or freeze them for later. They are convenient to grab on-the-go and a guilt-free way to spurge on a chocolatey breakfast or dessert.
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 5 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 3 medium (approx. 6″) bananas, extremely ripe (approximately 1 cup mashed)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil, melted (plus some to grease pan)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
To Further Ripen Bananas:
- Because ripe bananas are what make this recipe rad, if your bananas aren’t extremely ripe, here’s what to do! (If your bananas are extremely ripe and have dark peels, skip this step.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place bananas on a tray or on aluminum foil, peel on, and bake for 6-12 minutes, depending on how ripe the bananas are to begin with. Monitor the bananas and when the peel is dark black they are ready to go!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Generously coat a non-stick muffin tin with coconut oil or EVOO cooking spray. If using cooking spray, wipe the excess EVOO so that it does not pool in the bottom. These muffins tend to stick to paper muffin liners, so they’re not recommended. Dust the cavities with cocoa powder. (optional)
- In a small bowl, add oat flour, baking soda, arrowroot flour, salt, cocoa powder and chocolate chips. Stir to combine.
- In a separate large bowl, mash the bananas extremely well. After bananas are mashed, add beaten egg, Greek yogurt, melted coconut oil, vanilla extract and maple syrup. Stir to combine.
- Slowly add dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix until JUST combined. Over-mixing results in denser muffins and is not recommended.
- Separate the batter evenly among 12 cavities.
- Bake on center rack for 26-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the muffin. Check at 26 minutes, and every 2 minutes thereafter, until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove muffins from the oven, allow them to cool slightly and remove them from the muffin tin. If they stick to the sides, use a small rubber spatula or butter knife to cut around the edges and help remove them. Enjoy!
- Muffins remain freshest stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.
Always check for FfL-friendly ingredients.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 32 min
- Category: Recipes
Keywords: Chocolate Banana Muffins