The ultimate comfort dish
When time is tight, this savory Chicken Rice Soup is a must-try recipe. This family-tested meal can be ready in 60 minutes and is so easy to make by picking up a rotisserie chicken to keep life simple. The aroma of this savory soup simmering on the stovetop will get your mouth watering.
Natural cold remedy
This family favorite is also a perfect pick-me-up when you’re feeling under the weather. We have made and shared this recipe with family and friends recovering from an illness or surgery over the years to boost their spirits and get them on the road to recovery.
One time I (Pam) dropped off a double batch to my hairdresser and her family after she had carpal tunnel surgery. When I showed up for my next haircut, she raved about it, immediately asked for the recipe and said it was her family’s most enjoyable meal brought to them during her convalescence. We still have conversations about how much her family loves this chicken soup for the soul.
Can I cook chicken rather than use rotisserie chicken?
Yes, another simple way to prepare chicken for this meal is by cooking it in a slow cooker.
Trim the fat off of chicken breasts, place them in a slow cooker with a small amount of water, and cook on low for 3-5 hours. Remove chicken from the slow cooker and shred. Save the broth from the slow cooker and use it in your soup.
What to pair it with
You can couple this spirit-winning specialty with a salad and some Whole Wheat Rosemary Focaccia Bread to round out your fast feast.
This delicious dinner is only minutes away and is guaranteed to become one of your favorite dishes. All that is left to do is call your family to the table and sit down and enjoy a great meal together.
Simplifying the week with food prep
Food prep doesn’t need to be mega creative or time-consuming. Instead, it should be practical and something that simplifies healthy eating. This means that instead of spending all your time focusing on preparing just one meal, ask yourself, “What foods can I prep right now that will simplify my week?” If dinner is your biggest stressor, then that’s where you’ll want to focus. Think about what you can wash, chop or prep in advance to simplify things.
On your food prep day or the night before:
- Chop your carrots, celery and onions
- Shred rotisserie chicken or cook chicken breasts in a slow cooker and shred
When time is tight, this savory Chicken Rice Soup is a must-try recipe. This family-tested meal can be ready in 60 minutes and is so easy to make by picking up a rotisserie chicken to keep life simple. The aroma of this savory soup simmering on the stovetop will tantalize your nostrils and get your mouth watering.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 carrots, finely chopped (about 1 & 1/2 cups)
- 4 celery stalks, chopped (about 1 & 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 2 – 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup brown rice
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- In a stock pot, drizzle EVOO. Add carrots, celery, onion and cook for 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add water and chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Stir in rice, cover and simmer until rice is cooked (approximately 45 minutes).
- Add shredded chicken and seasonings. Simmer until hot and ladle into bowls. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 6
Keywords: Chicken Rice Soup