Fresh, flavorful ingredients bring this Mexican-inspired casserole together in minutes!
Made with warm corn tortillas, eggs, salsa, shredded cheese and avocado, this Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Casserole is the ultimate quick-and-easy comfort dish. It can be served as a delicious breakfast or as simple weeknight dinner.
Our family LOVES Mexican food—so much so, that we eat it at least once a week. In fact, last week we had this Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Casserole, a Chicken Enchilada Casserole AND Barbacoa Beef Bowls.
This dish is so simple and tasty, that it’s been added to our rotation of staple recipes.
Don’t let the simplicity fool you, this casserole is jam-packed with protein, fiber, healthy fats and FLAVOR!
Perfect for a crowd
This easy and delicious recipe is ideal when hosting guests or serving a crowd. You can enjoy your company without all the stress of prepping a meal. Simply grab a large baking dish, layer a few ingredients and toss it in the oven.
What to top your Huevos Rancheros Casserole with:
- Avocado slices—in our opinion, this one is non-negotiable
- Chopped cilantro
- A dollop of Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Fresh pico de gallo
- Hot sauce
- Sautéed veggies (onions, bell peppers, mushrooms)
Some tips when making your Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Casserole:
- Depending on how many people you’re serving, or how hungry you are, add as many eggs to this casserole as will fit or as many as you want.
- Add more or less cheese to you and your family’s liking. I, Kalie, am not a big “cheese lover” but my husband, Erich, is. To keep everyone happy, I add most of the cheese to Erich’s portion of the casserole, and less to mine.
- The beauty of this dish is you can be so creative with it! Add a cup of pinto or black beans OR cooked turkey sausage, ground beef, chicken, Crispy Pork Carnitas or chorizo between the layer of tortillas and eggs.
- Don’t have a lot of time in the morning? Prep it the night before and place it in the oven the next morning. This may slightly alter bake time.
- Have you ever tried making your own tortillas? After a trip to Mexico we made a batch and never purchased store-bought again. The difference in taste and texture is out of this world and worth the extra work!
- Looking for a simple side dish to serve with your casserole? Try these Homemade Refried Beans.
Fresh, flavorful ingredients bring this Mexican-inspired casserole together in minutes! Made with warm corn tortillas, eggs, salsa, shredded cheese and avocado, this Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Casserole is the ultimate quick-and-easy comfort dish. It can be served as a delicious breakfast or as a simple weeknight dinner.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8×8 baking dish. if you’re making this for a larger crowd, use a 12×16 baking dish.
- Tear tortillas into 1-inch pieces and evenly spread them to cover the baking dish. Top tortilla pieces with salsa. If using meat or beans, add them on top of the salsa.
- Use a spoon to create 4-6 shallow holes (depending on how many eggs you’d like) in the salsa. Gently break one egg into each hole. Sprinkle cilantro, onion and cheese on top.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, until egg whites are set and yolks are cooked to your liking. This time can vary depending on how hot your oven runs.) Your eggs will continue cooking (from the heat of the pan) even after you’ve taken them out of the oven. Plate, top with avocado slices and serve immediately. If making this for a crowd, you will need to increase bake time.
Suggested serving sizes: (adjust onions, salsa, cheese and cilantro as necessary)
For 1 person, use a standard 8×4 loaf pan, one tortilla and two eggs.
For 2-4 people, use an 8×8 baking dish, 2-4 tortillas and 4-6 eggs. Bake for 12-14 minutes.
For 5+ people, use a 12×16 baking dish, 3+ tortillas and 8-10 eggs. Double the amount of toppings. Bake for 18-22 minutes.
This dish can also be made in a greased cast iron skillet.
Dairy-free/Vegetarian: Eliminate the cheese to make this dish dairy-free/vegetarian.
Paleo: Omit the beans.
Always check for FfL-friendly ingredients.
We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.
- Serving Size: 2
Keywords: Breakfast Casserole