A delicious dinner can be as simple as turning your favorite meat, BBQ sauce, red onions, arugula and a few other ingredients into a palate-pleasing pizza.
Just like tacos, pizza makes a regular appearance in our house. Because I’m not a HUGE sausage fan, I was a little apprehensive about making a sausage pizza for the first time. Knowing how much my husband absolutely loves it, I decided to give it a shot anyway.
While I’ll always be a die-hard Chicken and Pesto Pizza kind of girl (which is another recipe you don’t want to miss), I have to say this pizza has a special spot in my heart… and tummy! The smoky BBQ sauce, paired with a spicy sausage and creamy goat cheese, is the perfect complement to a crispy pizza crust. This recipe is fast enough for weeknights yet tasty enough for company.
The beauty of making a pizza at home is that you can easily modify to please all palates!
If your husband loves meat and you don’t, add more to his side and skimp on yours. If your kiddos don’t like onions, eliminate them from their portion of the pizza. If goat cheese just isn’t your thing, only use mozzarella.
Not only does homemade pizza make the perfect meal for everyone’s flavor preferences, it allows you to keep the cheesy calories to a minimum. Because so many of you LOVE pizza as much as we do, I wanted to share this delicious Sausage and Red Onion Pizza (which has officially been nick-named “my husband’s go-to pizza”)!
Top tips for prepping ahead (on your food prep day or the night before)
Pre-chopping, cutting or cooking ingredients really helps to reduce stress and simplify dinner on busy weeknights. We know, we know, we’re always talking about meal prep, but it truly is the holy grail to healthy eating!
- Chop your onion
- Cook your sausage (or meat of choice)
A delicious dinner can be as simple as turning your favorite meat, BBQ sauce, red onions, arugula and a few other ingredients into a palate-pleasing pizza. It’s fast enough for weeknights yet tasty enough for company.
- Preheat oven to temperature suggested on dough’s instructions.
- Roll dough into a 14-inch wide oval on a floured surface. Transfer dough to a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- Leaving a 1-inch border around the edge, spread BBQ sauce on dough. On top of BBQ sauce, scatter onions, arugula, sausage, goat cheese and mozzarella. Sprinkle with crushed red pepper and Italian seasoning.
- Bake pizza in the oven on the middle rack for the time suggested on dough’s instructions until dough begins to turn golden brown, typically about 12-16 minutes).
- Remove from oven. Allow pizza to cool for 2-3 minutes. Cut and serve!
- Serving Size: 4
Keywords: Steak Pizza, Red Onion Pizza