Steak (or Sausage) and Red Onion Pizza
A delicious dinner can be as simple as turning your favorite meat, BBQ sauce, red onions, arugula and a few other ingredients into a palate-pleasing pizza.
Just like tacos, pizza makes a regular appearance in our house. Because I’m not a HUGE sausage fan, I was a little apprehensive about making a sausage pizza for the first time. Knowing how much my husband absolutely loves it, I decided to give it a shot anyway.
While I’ll always be a die-hard Chicken and Pesto Pizza kind of girl (which is another recipe you don’t want to miss), I have to say this pizza has a special spot in my heart… and tummy! The smoky BBQ sauce, paired with a spicy sausage and creamy goat cheese, is the perfect complement to a crispy pizza crust. This recipe is fast enough for weeknights yet tasty enough for company.
The beauty of making a pizza at home is that you can easily modify to please all palates!
If your husband loves meat and you don’t, add more to his side and skimp on yours. If your kiddos don’t like onions, eliminate them from their portion of the pizza. If goat cheese just isn’t your thing, only use mozzarella.
Not only does homemade pizza make the perfect meal for everyone’s flavor preferences, it allows you to keep the cheesy calories to a minimum. Because so many of you LOVE pizza as much as we do, I wanted to share this delicious Sausage and Red Onion Pizza (which has officially been nick-named “my husband’s go-to pizza”)!
Let’s talk about the ingredient that brings it all together, the crust
Our choice of crust typically depends on our schedule that week and if we had time to prep ahead. We’ve tried everything from a local bakery’s gluten-free crust to a pumpkin seed crust we found in the freezer section at the grocery store.
If you’re pinched for time try:
- Bagel Pizzas
- Pita Pizzas: Whole grain pitas are a quick and easy, no-mess option when you want to make your pizzas in a pinch. They’re also the PERFECT size for personal pizzas.
- Store Bought Dough Balls: We’re lucky enough to have a Co-Op close by that sells dough balls made with 100% whole wheat flour and gluten-free crust that’s made with FfL-friendly ingredients.
- Check local bakeries or the freezer section for FfL-friendly pre-made dough. Look for simple ingredients such as 100% whole grain/ wheat flour, water, salt and minimal (FfL approved) oil.
- Our Healthy Staples Roundup will help you cut out highly-processed foods and further break down what to look for and what to avoid.
If you have time to meal prep:
- Crispy Cauliflower Pizza Crust (Gluten-Free)
- Homemade Dough: Homemade pizza dough is delicious, but can be time consuming. If you want to make your own, have it ready ahead of time so your only prep the night of your “party” is to set out the toppings.
- For personal pizzas, cut the ball into equal pieces for each person.
- Since it’s freezer-friendly, we often make a double batch and freeze the extra dough ball.
Top tips for prepping ahead (on your food prep day or the night before)
Pre-chopping, cutting or cooking ingredients really helps to reduce stress and simplify dinner on busy weeknights. We know, we know, we’re always talking about meal prep, but it truly is the holy grail to healthy eating!
- Chop your onion
- Cook your sausage (or meat of choice)
- Prepare pizza dough
Pro tip: This Chop Wizard paired with its EZ Cleaning Lift Tab are kitchen essentials when it comes to slicing and dicing veggies. The Chop Wizard chops your produce into uniform pieces and cuts your prep time in half. The Cleaning Tab makes washing quick and easy.
If your family loves pizza as much as ours, you’ll want to check out these articles:
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this Steak (or Sausage) and Red Onion Pizza, we would love to hear how it turned out! Leave a comment below sharing what your friends and family thought of it. We love hearing from you and your ideas inspire us all! Don’t forget to tag @fullforlifegal on Instagram so we can admire your masterpiece! 🌟
Share The Goodness
Join the FULLforLife Community
Inside our exclusive FULLforLife community, you can stay consistent with the healthy habits that leave you feeling self-confident and energized-with ease.Join the FfL Community Today!
You May Also Enjoy
Leave a Comment
Hi beautiFULL, We’re Pam and Kalie
If you want your family to live a healthier life, you’ve come to the right place! Our simple wellness practices have been handed down for three generations and are the secret weapon to staying healthy and sane.
GET YOUR FREE GUIDE
Real Food Crash Course
Learn how to cut out processed food in a realistic and manageable way.
Free Guide Food – Real Food Crash Course
"*" indicates required fields