This outstanding casserole is a delicious combination of fresh zucchini, turkey, rice and an herb ricotta cheese blend.
It makes the perfect weeknight meal when you want something hearty and healthy.
Can I prep this the night before?
Yeppers! Follow the prep instructions (stop just before baking), cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove from fridge and bake.
If you want to get a head start but not actually assemble your casserole, brown your meat, cook your rice and chop your onions and garlic (if using fresh) on your food prep day or the night before. When you’re ready to make your casserole it can be put together in 5 minutes flat.
How to shop for the best ingredients:
- Choose WHOLE grain rice (avoid enriched white rice).
- Look for meat that’s 100% grass-fed and pasture-raised.
- Choose ricotta and Parmesan cheese that are made with simple ingredients such as milk, cream, salt, enzymes and active cultures.
- Look for tomato sauce made with FfL-friendly, real food ingredients.
- We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.
How to “reinvent” your leftover Turkey, Zucchini and Rice Casserole:
- Stuffed Peppers: A great way to put a spin on leftovers from this meal is by adding a little curry and stuffing a pepper. Cut off the top of a bell pepper, remove seeds and stuff pepper full with leftovers. Top stuffed pepper with a small amount of cheese. Place in a baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until pepper softens and center is warm.
- Top with an over-easy egg for breakfast.
Turkey, Zucchini and Rice Casserole
- Course: ,
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 45 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8 1x
This outstanding casserole is a delicious combination of fresh zucchini, turkey, rice and an herb ricotta cheese blend. It makes the perfect weeknight meal when you want something hearty and healthy.
- 3 large zucchini (about 6 cups, grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey breast (can substitute with ground beef)
- 1 pinch Himalayan pink salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 3 cups spinach
- 1 (15 oz.) container ricotta
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chives
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 jar tomato sauce, thicker sauces work best
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- red pepper flakes (to taste)
- Shred zucchini with a grater or food processor. In a strainer, allow zucchini to weep for 10 minutes. Squeeze to draw out excess moisture.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large pan, add 1/4 teaspoon EVOO, turkey, salt and pepper. Brown meat until almost completely cooked through. Remove turkey from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining EVOO to pan and sauté spinach until wilted, approximately 2 minutes. Place spinach in a medium-large bowl and add ricotta, chives and basil.
- In a separate bowl, combine garlic, onions and tomato sauce.
- To assemble casserole, pour a thin layer of tomato mixture on the bottom of a glass or non-stick casserole dish. Spread half of the shredded zucchini over tomato mixture. Layer half the ricotta mixture, half the tomato mixture, all of the brown rice and turkey.
- Add another layer of zucchini, a layer of the remaining ricotta mixture and finally a layer of the remaining sauce.
- Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven, grate Parmesan cheese on casserole and let stand for 15 minutes before serving. Serve with crushed red pepper (optional) and enjoy.
We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.
- Serving Size: 8
Keywords: Turkey Casserole, Zucchini, Rice