Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Chickpea Ganache Frosting (Dairy-Free)
- Total Time: 31 minutes
- Yield: 9 1x
This chocolate cake is made with simple ingredients and topped with a rich and creamy chocolate ganache. It’s moist, without being dense, and has the perfect balance of sweetness and rich chocolatey flavor. The secret ingredient that brings it all together… chickpeas! The creamy chickpea chocolate ganache uses no heavy cream, which cuts the calories of your chocolate cake in half. This is one recipe you have got to try!
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk or almond milk
- 1/2 cup coffee (hot or cold)
- 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Chocolate ganache frosting:
- 1 (15 oz.) can garbanzo beans or chickpeas, drained
- 6 tablespoons pure maple syrup (more depending on desired sweetness)
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon virgin coconut oil
- pinch Himalayan pink salt (1/8 tsp or less)
- sliced strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×9 non-stick baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, cacao powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix egg, milk, coffee (if hot, refer to #2 in notes below), oil and vanilla until thoroughly combined (an immersion blender or mixer works best for this). Gradually add dry ingredients into wet and mix until thoroughly combined. Pour batter into prepared baking dish and bake for 15-17 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
- While cake is baking, combine all ganache ingredients in a food processor. Process for 60 seconds, scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl. Process for 30 seconds more. If necessary, add 1-2 tablespoons of water and puree until ganache reaches a creamy consistency.
- Allow cake to cool completely before frosting it with chocolate ganache.
- To lock in moisture, store in an airtight container or cake stand with a secure lid for 4-5 days.
If coffee is hot, add AFTER you mix dry ingredients into wet. This may slightly alter your bake time (by a minute or two).
Recipe for Homemade Vanilla Extract.
We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.
Always check for FfL-friendly ingredients.
Coffee with warm water (although it will have slightly less flavor)
Coconut oil with a MILD flavored extra virgin olive oil
Milk for unsweetened almond milk
Whole wheat pastry flour with a gluten-free flour blend
Egg for a chia egg (vegan-friendly). We have not tried this method. If you do, please comment below and let us know how it turns out.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 16 min
- Category: Recipes
Keywords: Chocolate Cake